PowerScheduler Questions

eeberlin
Recruit

PowerScheduler Questions

I have several questions and I am unsure of the best way to ask them!  I've been working on our master schedule for quite a while and am encountering a few issues that I cannot fix.

1. Despite personally seeing to the fact that each student has a full set of requests in, I continue to get a lengthy list of warnings stating that each of our students has too few requests in.  I've tried unchecking each period so that they aren't all set to be identified as "core."  That didn't change anything.  Why would this be happening?

2. When I run a load, I'll have some students load into their core classes and not into any electives.  Then, within the same grade level, I'll have others load into only electives and not into any core classes.  This seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the maximum number of students I've set because in some cases, every student is loading into the exact same class period (84 ended up in one teacher's 3rd period).  
3.  Despite having selected that I need classes to close when the maximum number of students is reached, that isn't happening.  
4. And lastly, despite having set up section types on the course side and on the student request side, students are not loading into those sections.

I have checked to ensure the basics have been done - my students are all selected to be scheduled, and all of my classes are selected to be scheduled.  So I must be missing some other basic step that I just can't seem to find in the manual.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

6 Replies
JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Hi @eeberlin 

Scheduling is difficult to troubleshoot without access to your PowerSchool, but some thoughts:

1--Ignore these warnings. In general, only Data Errors need to be addressed during a Load.

2--Look into Load Priority on the Course Preferences page. The lower the number, the higher the priority. In order to close sections at max, you need to check that box on the sections themselves, the Course Pref page, and on the Load Screen.

3--See above.

4--Make sure Use Section Types is checked on the Course Pref tab.

Thank you @JeffG9 

I have done those things and am struggling mostly with trying to get kids to load into the classes.  I cannot seem to put my finger on what might be holding things up!  I really wish I could get someone from PowerSchool to access my account and tell me just what I've overlooked.  It's driving me nuts!

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Hi @eeberlin In reference to Section Types--are the Section Types on the Section as well as the student Request?

I mentioned Load Priority as lower the more important, but they should not have a Load Priority of 0.

You can try something like:

Load Priority

1- Essential classes like BOCES that kids MUST get into

3- Honors/Advanced Classes

6- Regular Core Academic Classes

12- Electives

etc.

PowerScheduler isn't exactly intuitive so don't get too frustrated (difficult, I know).

Thank you @JeffG9 !

I must admit I have shed a tear or two over these past few days!  This isn't my first time doing the master schedule, but it's the first time I've had this much trouble!  And I hate feeling stressed out.

I do have some classes with a load priority of 0, so I will absolutely be resetting those now.  I hope that helps.  

I am still annoyed by the number of warnings, but I will take your advice and look the other way!

RichW
Padawan

When looking at a student's matrix in a post-load, pre-commit PowerScheduler, what effects the % Core Scheduled and % Scheduled values? And, on the main PowerScheduler screen, what do the % Core Scheduled and % Scheduled values mean?

CoreScheduled.pngps.png

KritiS
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @RichW 

The % core scheduled is effected by how many mandatory courses is the student part of and the % Scheduled value is effected by how much of the student schedule is filled up. We recommend reaching out to the Technical Contact of your district who should be able to access this article for you: PowerScheduler-Students-Schedule-Screen-Percentage-Scheduled as well as provide further assistance.

KritiS
Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If a suggestion helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the solution, too!