Exporting Usable Data

perrysela
Recruit

Exporting Usable Data

Hello - I'm a classroom teacher, and I'm trying to find out if we are at all able to export our student data (like contacts, ID numbers, grades) into Excel sheets. So far, I can only print reports as PDFs, which are utterly useless to me because they are stationary documents and therefore no more helpful than just looking at the information in the tabs. PowerSchool support has been less than helpful as my searches didn't turn up answers for what I needed and the company doesn't make it possible for users to contact any kind of help line directly. If anyone here knows a way for someone with non admin level access to get a spreadsheet without just copy/pasting every single individual field, I would greatly appreciate it.

4 Replies
ParitoshT
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @perrysela,

Good Day! You can export this data through Direct Database Export (DDE) using the fields Emerg_Contact_1, Emerg_Contact_2, Emerg_Phone_1, Emerg_Phone_2, ID, and Grade_Level. The export will be in the text format and you can choose to open the exported file with the MS Excel app and you should then be good to go. The table name which you would select is "Students(1)". I recommend reviewing this article for more information on DDE.

Please let me know if this helps you or in case of further questions.

ParitoshT

Community Moderator 

Kudos encourage participation

perrysela
Recruit

Hello,

Thank you for offering this suggestion, however my screen looks very different. I'm not sure if it's because I'm a classroom teacher if my school gave me limited access or what. My home screen looks like this. Do you know of any way to get from here to the menus you showed?

perrysela_0-1686591898798.png

ParitoshT
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @perrysela,

Good Day! Looks like you might not have the permissions and privileges to do this in SIS. I recommend working with the PowerSchool SIS administrators in your school district who should be able to assist you further with extracting this information.

ParitoshT

Community Moderator 

Kudos encourage participation

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@perrysela DDE is not something any teacher user will have access to as it exists solely on the Admin-side of PowerSchool.

The teacher portal (the area you log into) has pretty limited functionality when it comes to exporting. The first thing I would do is check to see which reports the PS Admins where you work have allowed teachers to print; it is possible that there is an Object Report that will provide the information you are looking for.

You may also have some custom reports in PowerTeacher Pro. Many of the reports in PT Pro allow you to change the output from pdf to Excel, so take a look in there.