PowerSchool GPA

khambly
Apprentice

PowerSchool GPA

Hi,

We are new to PowerSchool and I am new to the position. At McNicholas High School, our PowerSchool GPA Calculations are incorrect. The weighted calculations need to have our added value measures but the GPA is not correct. Can you help with this? 

5 Replies
JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@khambly 

In order to troubleshoot a PowerSchool GPA, folks will need to see the GPA Calculation (not the name, the actual calculation in PwerSchool), the GPA PowerSchool is reporting, the GPA you believe to be correct, and, most importantly, a detailed hand-calculation of how you arrived at the GPA you believe to be correct.

They would also need to see all the grade records for grades included in the calculation, minus any and all PII.

Having said that let me say this:  PowerSchool GPA calculations are never wrong; computers do not make mathematical mistakes.

If you believe it is reporting the GPA incorrectly, the problem is likely in one of two areas:

-The user saying the GPAs are incorrect does not know how PowerSchool is calculating them.

-There is an issue with a stored grade record included in the calculation, such as an incorrect Added Value.

The Weighted Percent currently is:  average(gpa_percent())+sum(gpa_addedvalue(),4)

The Added Value is:  round((gpa_sum((gpa_gpapoints()+gpa_addedvalue())*gpa_potentialcredit())/sum(gpa_potentialcredit())),4)

The Weighted is:  round((gpa_sum(gpa_gpapoints()*gpa_potentialcredit())/sum(gpa_potentialcredit())),4) 

We have a numeric scale and have added values entered in the system. 

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

If you mean the actual GPA calculations themselves are incorrect and you need new Calculation Methods created, that may a be a bit specific for this forum.

We need new GPA Calculations created 

KritiS
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @khambly 

You can use GPA Validation tool and install PowerTool. For more information about GPA Calculation, we recommend reviewing this document.

KritiS
Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If a suggestion helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the solution, too!