Nickname for a Student

m0523oswald
Trainee

Nickname for a Student

Is it possible to add a (nickname) for a student behind their first name?

3 Replies
JyotishkaB
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @m0523oswald 

To assist you further, would you please confirm which Product are you referring to? Where are you trying to add the nickname?

Jyotishka B.
Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!

m0523oswald
Trainee

I have a couple children who don't go by their legal first name.  

They use a nickname.  We are new to PowerSchool this year and I was wondering if there was anyway to add a nickname to their Demographics so that all the other teachers entering grades for that student would know who they were without having to look up their  legal name.  

Thanks!

ParitoshT
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @m0523oswald,

Below are the options available that you can look into to see if they help your use case for having a preferred/nickname.

1) The preferred name is entered in PowerSchool under "Name". You have the Name Fields on the General Demographics Page

We have the Name option where either preferred/legal name can be entered.

So if you enter the legal name in name, the best option to have preferred names for the student would be to use the custom screen, in order to have the preferred name for the student. Preferred name can be added as a custom field in the demographic record, but it will not appear under the teacher's or substitute portal unless that is customized as well. It must be entered and maintained by the PowerSchool Administrator. I recommend reviewing this article for more information on setting the preferred name.

Note: This article is limited to the technical contacts of a district. I recommend working with the technical contacts in your district to review the information in this article.

2) We can use Custom Field for this information. To learn more about this information and how to set this up:

In PowerSchool > Click Help> System Help > Search Custom Fields

I recommend reviewing this article for more information.

ParitoshT

Community Moderator

Kudos encourage participation