How can I access historical data in PowerSchool?

avega2
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

How can I access historical data in PowerSchool?

I am trying to export GPA's for this year's class in comparison to last year's as well as export program + course data from previous years. 

When I use the DDE and select the program table, I get 0 records though I am able to enroll students into specific programs in PowerSchool.

I'm kind of new to this platform and just looking for some pointers after doing some research on my own.

It seems like quick export is for one table only and current year, so I am trying to learn of other options.

Thank you in advance,

4 Replies
HeatherWeist
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

@avega2  GPA's are an on-the-spot calculation. Unless you pull the data via a Quick Export and import it into a custom field. It becomes very difficult to compare groups of students over the years. 

Heather Weist, MEd
PowerSchool - SIS Administrator, Commonwealth Charter Academy

PowerSchool Mentor/Champion

PowerSchool Mentor of the Year 2021 Winner

PowerSchool Beta Tester of the Year 2022 Winner

Did your issue get solved? Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution. Thanks!

Mentors_badgeChampions_badge
avega2
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@HeatherWeist Got it, it seems like I will just have to calculate by pulling from stored grades and making calculations outside of PowerSchool? For previous school years, filtering by term id.

HeatherWeist
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

@avega2  You are most welcome. As I mentioned, you could always create custom fields and export the GPAs at the end of the term, year, etc and import them into the custom fields. We do that in order to show a student's GPA for each grade level. 

Heather Weist, MEd
PowerSchool - SIS Administrator, Commonwealth Charter Academy

PowerSchool Mentor/Champion

PowerSchool Mentor of the Year 2021 Winner

PowerSchool Beta Tester of the Year 2022 Winner

Did your issue get solved? Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution. Thanks!

jasonbengs
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

To build on what @HeatherWeist said, we use cumulative GPA calculations for all 9-12 grade students, then prior to rolling graduates into the Graduated Students school we export their final GPA and rank into custom fields that are stored permanently during the rollover process.  This gives us a final snapshot to use if we need to reprint transcripts or pull other data for those students.  

Jason Bengs, M. Ed
SIS/Database Administrator

Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution. Thanks!