Editing A Course Number

mauramaher
Recruit

Editing A Course Number

I just built a new course and need to change the course number.  I cannot figure out how/where to edit the course number.  Where/how can I do that? 

3 Replies
ParitoshT
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @mauramaher,

Good Day! Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

Can you please elaborate more on what your main goal is? Did you create a course and need to change that course number or did you create a new course and want to change an old course to that new course?

ParitoshT

Community Moderator

mauramaher
Recruit

Hello!  I created a new course and need to change the course #.  It's a minor fix but I named a course h980 and it should read H980 (capital H like our other courses) so I wanted to edit it so it is consistent with our other courses.

While I have you here... we are looking to update some course names for our next school year.  When I try to change them in the 23-24 course catalog, it is changing the course name for the course in our current school year.  Is there any way to keep the same course number for next year and edit the course name without having it change for our current school year?

Thanks for your help!

ParitoshT
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @mauramaher,

Thank you for your response. You would need to create a new course with the preferred course number then follow the steps mentioned below to transfer the old course to that new course number

1)In PowerSchool, navigate to District > District Setup > Courses and select New Course.
2) Enter the new course number in the Create New Course screen.
3) Click Submit.
4) Navigate to the school for which the course number has changed.
5) Navigate to School Setup > Courses.
6) Select Manage Courses for this school.
7) Select the newly-added course in the Master Course List.
😎 Navigate to System under Setup and select Change Course Number.
9) Enter the original and new course numbers in the appropriate fields.
10) Select either This change affects only <School Name> or This change affects all schools on this server.
11) Click Submit.

Note: PowerSchool does not recommend making this change in the middle of the School year. Only the following are updated by this function:

Sections
CC
School Active Course List
Standard Course Associations
Schedule Requests

Any other items which reference a Course Number must be updated manually. This includes, but are not limited to, Stored Grades, Fees, Custom Fields, etc.

Also, I would recommend working with the PowerSchool SIS Administrators in your school district who should be able to assist you in this process as you would also need to prepare a backup before making the above changes.

ParitoshT

Community Moderator

Kudos encourage participation