Schoology API

Maxmessinger
Journeyman

Schoology API

Hi there - I'm trying to do some stuff with Schoology API, but I'm having trouble getting my API key and secret. Any advice? Thanks!

3 Replies
Maxmessinger
Journeyman

Update - I've got the key and secret but still need to get an authorization token. Is this possible without having access to https://app.schoology.com/apps/developer/request? Thanks!

Reshma
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @Maxmessinger,

Using the key and shared secret, you should be able to retrieve the token.  You can refer to this document on Authentication to get further information. 

Reshma
PowerSchool Community Support Expert

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
eltontipa
Rookie

Obtaining API keys and secrets for Schoology API typically involves a few steps. Here's a general guide on how you might approach this:

1. Create a Developer Account:

• Visit the Schoology Developer Portal or Developer section of the Schoology website.
    • Sign up or log in to your account. If you don't have a developer account, you may need to create one.
  2. Access Developer Settings:

• Once logged in, navigate to the developer settings or dashboard. This is where you can manage your API keys and other developer-related configurations.
  3. Create a New Application:

• Within the developer settings, look for an option to create a new application or project. This is where you'll set up the details for your API integration.
    • Provide necessary information about your application, such as its name, description, and any other required details.
  4. Generate API Key and Secret:

• After creating the application, you should see options to generate b2b api meaning, keys and secrets.
    • Schoology typically uses OAuth for authentication, so you might need to set up OAuth credentials. This involves generating a client ID and client secret.
  5. Configure API Access Permissions:

• Depending on your use case, you might need to configure specific permissions for your API key. Schoology may provide options to select the scope of access your application requires.
  6. Review Documentation:

• Refer to the Schoology API documentation for specifics on how to use the API, including authentication and endpoints. The documentation should provide details on making requests and handling responses.
  7. Test Your API Key:

• Once you have your API key and secret, you can test it by making a simple API request. This could be something like fetching basic user information.