PowerScheduler: Students Missing Core Requests

avivan
Apprentice

PowerScheduler: Students Missing Core Requests

Is there an efficient way of finding students who are missing a core class? For example, any freshmen not balloted for a science class. Any help is appreciated!

6 Replies
tself
Hobbyist

Have you already loaded students into the schedule or are you still working with course requests?

avivan
Apprentice

Still working on course requests.

DanM3
Elite

I have a blank custom field that I use for a variety of situations. I would select all of those students who have requested it and give them a student value field of 1. Then search for anyone in that grade level who doesn't have a 1 in that custom field. Take those and do a mass add for the course request.  (Remember to clear out the custom field when done lol)

Dan Morgan
Saint Mary's College High School - Berkeley, CA
PowerSchool Hosted - v 24.3 - 600 Students
PowerSchool User and Admin since 2000
tself
Hobbyist

There are also a few built in reports to PowerScheduler, that won't give you exactly what you need but they may help you narrow down which students you need to look at. 

There is the Requests by Student Report. Which will show you every student in the system, and the requests that they currently have entered in the system. I don't know how big your school district is, but depending on its size this could be used to read through and make not of any student who is not requesting the course(s) that you are worried about.

There is also the Student Request Tally. This report will show you all of the students currently in the system at the school level. And how many courses they are requesting. You might be able to use this report to easily identify which students don't have enough requests in to be at full-time hours. 

I hope this helps. Also both of these reports and more can be found in PowerScheduler on the reports page.

avivan
Apprentice

I'm at a high school and we have about 2,300 students. I use the Student Request Tally to find students under or over-scheduled with primary requests and made a spreadsheet for the counselors to look over and correct as needed. 

I'm looking more for students who might have gaps that are missing a core class. Last year at the start of school I found a handful of students who didn't have an English class in their schedule and 2 that were missing PE half way thru the semester. Admin asked me if there was a way to find these gaps. If there isn't an easy report to run, might try out @DanM3 suggestion.

DanM3
Elite

@avivan The key is to try and preschedule the students for specific classes early in the process. We have students select their classes online, but any grade level requirement we set to automatically populate when they submit their requests.  In addition to the default reports built into PowerScheduler, PSCB also has some great reports as well.  Recently we also added SchedulePlus Resources from PowerSource (ID Number 1251)

Dan Morgan
Saint Mary's College High School - Berkeley, CA
PowerSchool Hosted - v 24.3 - 600 Students
PowerSchool User and Admin since 2000