PowerScheduler Course Requests Priority

aorton
Journeyman

PowerScheduler Course Requests Priority

When adding a new course requests into PowerScheduler, what priority number should core classes and electives have? 

With other SIS we've used in the past, we chose "0" for cores (Eng/Ma/Sci/Hist) and then  "1,2,3,4," for top electives to fill the rest of the school day. Alternate/back up electives were then listed in numeric value after the top elective choices.

Also, I am unsure of how to EDIT priorities... If I've added group of requests for English I with the priority of "0", and it needs to be something else, how to do I edit that number to change it?

2 Solutions
nicolebond
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

I attached a PS document that I found helpful when trying to determine the load priority. 

Nicole Bond
Director of Attendance and Enrollment
Haywood County Schools
Brownsville, TN

Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution. Thanks!

Mentors_badgeChampions_badge

View solution in original post

DanM3
Elite

We generally do our course priority numbers 10, 20, 30, 40 (AP/Honors, Required Classes, electives, etc.) Sometimes for a singleton that isn't getting the kids in, we can then bump those to like 9, 19, 29, etc.  

Dan Morgan
Saint Mary's College High School - Berkeley, CA
PowerSchool Hosted - v 20.4.3 - 600 Students
PowerSchool User and Admin since 2000

View solution in original post

13 Replies
JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

You should use the Load Priority on the Course (Preferences tb) itself as opposed to requests. The lower the number the higher the priority. You can use a Load Priority of 1 for courses students must get into, 3 for Honors or AP courses, 6 for Core classes, etc.

Thank you! How do I edit priority numbers to change them to what others on here have suggested?

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@aorton

You should use the Load Priority on the Course (Preferences tab) itself as opposed to requests. The lower the number the higher the priority. You can use a Load Priority of 1 for courses students must get into, 3 for Honors or AP courses, 6 for Core classes, etc.

See the screenshot attached to the post you replied to for an image of the area.

When I edit and try to save via the attached screenshot, I'm brought to an error page that shows the following "Alert: Course Number 000000123 already assigned as the lunch course."

("Use this course for Lunch" check box is "checked" under Scheduling Preferences.  Someone else must have selected this? Should I remove the check in this category?)

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

I do not get that error when adjusting the Load Priority on a course with "Use this course for Lunch" checked.

Regardless, "Use this course for lunch" is only used if you schedule teachers for lunch, so you can likely uncheck it.

Thank you so much! I've gone and updated all priorities to be 1,3,6, etc via the Course/Preferences tabs... Now that I'm going through each student to add course requests, priorities are all populating as zero, instead of the 1,3,6's I've assigned for cores/electives/alternates. Does that matter? Do I need to then manually change each class under requests tab to equal the proper priority? 

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

There is no need to adjust the priority on requests.

Thank you! I appreciate all of your help! It's been invaluable this week.

nicolebond
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

I attached a PS document that I found helpful when trying to determine the load priority. 

Nicole Bond
Director of Attendance and Enrollment
Haywood County Schools
Brownsville, TN

Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution. Thanks!

Mentors_badgeChampions_badge
aorton
Journeyman

Thanks! Now that I know how to prioritize, how can I edit the original priority numbers I've put into PowerScheduler?

DanM3
Elite

We generally do our course priority numbers 10, 20, 30, 40 (AP/Honors, Required Classes, electives, etc.) Sometimes for a singleton that isn't getting the kids in, we can then bump those to like 9, 19, 29, etc.  

Dan Morgan
Saint Mary's College High School - Berkeley, CA
PowerSchool Hosted - v 20.4.3 - 600 Students
PowerSchool User and Admin since 2000

ItsOnlyDoug
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

We were told early on that tt's not a simple 10, 20, 30 scheme...It's a doubled +1 scheme. 

1, 3, 7, 15, 31, 63....

So for us all of our honors, AP, and singletons are 1 and 3s...Core classes are 7 and our electives start at 15 depending on demand.

Doug Skinner

District Instructional Data Officer
Gateway Regional School District

Did your issue get solved? Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution.

psutulovich
Hobbyist

Is there a way to prioritize the student request?  We gave students four elective choices.  They will only be assigned to two electives.  We had them enter their request in the order of choice priority.  Their first choice was the elective they wanted most and their fourth choice was the elective they wanted least.  When we look at the request in PowerScheduler they are not in the order of the student screen.  How can we honor the student elective request priorities?