Incident Management Teacher Viewable for own Students?

cox_taylor
Trainee

Incident Management Teacher Viewable for own Students?

Similar to how teachers often have permission to submit and view log entries. 

Is there a way, or how do we make it so that teachers can view incident management referrals for students they serve. 

Currently, our teachers can submit incident management referrals, but once they do, they no longer can see them. Only system they have to view them after is by kicking over to Performance Matters, but that lacks much of the important detail. 

What are we missing? We're fairly new to PS implementation. 

Thank you!

10 Replies
JyotishkaB
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @cox_taylor

PowerSchool SIS currently only allows for logs/incidents to be submitted from the Teacher portal. There is no option for teachers to view them after they are entered. 

You can share this idea as an Enhancement Request on  PowerSchool Ideas Portal so that the product team can take a look at this. This article should walk you through how to raise an Enhancement Request.

You also can work with our Customizations team who may be able to custom page to view the logs. While this service does have a cost associated, we want to make sure you are aware of all available resources. You can submit a request for customization here using the Customizations form.

Jyotishka B.
Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!

ArnoldK
Journeyman

Jyotishka B.,

I currently work for a school district that has activated its Incident Management.  Everything is going well with the exception of giving the teachers access to it with their access in PowerTeacher Pro. We did test giving teachers access to this feature by giving them admin access.  While this works it is cumbersome for the teacher to have to go between the 2 logins. You mention in this thread that PowerSchool SIS currently allows for logs/incidents to be submitted from the Teacher portal.  The school districts I work with have access to the logs under PowerTeacher Pro but not the Incidents.  We see that the PowerSchool has documentation,  steps ( Enable Incident Creation in the PowerSchool Teacher Portal ) to turn this on but it doesn't seem to be available on our servers. I know this sounds very obvious that we have missed something but we also contacted PowerSchool support and were told that the incident management under PowerTeacher Pro is a customization? Is it a customization or something that can be activated on all PowerSchool servers?

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@ArnoldK Student Observations/Incident Creation was introduced in v21.4. It is part of the core product and is not a customization.

Before teachers can escalate Observations into Incidents in PT Pro, the feature must be enabled on the Admin side. Go to District Office and select Setup>District>Miscellaneous>“Enable Incident Creation by Teachers.”

Once teachers escalate an Observation to an Incident they can no longer edit it.

Thank you JeffG9 for your quick post.

We were doing the exact same steps to try and activate the teacher side: Setup>District>Miscellaneous>“Enable Incident Creation by Teachers.”  However, the button to activate it under "Miscellaneous" was hidden (not available).  I even called PowerSchool Support and talked with "June" who told me this was only available as a customization.  This did not sit well with me as I have read documentation and posts where people were able to activate it.  I realized late last night that when I turn off "Customization" the button shows up.  I activated the feature, reactivated "Customization" and everything now works as it should. In the future I will start with turning "Customization" off when I can't find things that should be there.  I should have know this as this has happened to us before.  Hopefully this is helpful to someone else.

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Sounds like you have a customization that is hiding certain parts of the District>Miscellaneous page.

It is generally a good idea to turn on/off Customization when troubleshooting, as knowing if something is/is not a customization gives you a good starting point to begin solving the problem. 

PowerSchool Champion

I understand not editing it after it's been submitted, but I cannot even see a way that teachers can view it after they submit it. I've tested both "Submit incident" through SIS and creating an Observation > Escalation in PTP, but teachers still cannot see an incident that they entered for their student. 

ParitoshT
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @inelson124,

Unfortunately, once a log entry has been submitted, a teacher does not have access to view or modify the entry via the PowerTeacher Portal. Only administrative PowerSchool users with the necessary permissions may view or modify log entries via PowerSchool Admin after they have been submitted.

As a work-around, a separate user group can be created to have access to the PS SIS admin portal like a counselor, or nurse group, etc. and the teachers will need to have access to PS SIS admin to print the copies of Incident Reports.

Here is an article for more information on Teacher Incident Referrals.

ParitoshT

Community Moderator 

Kudos encourage participation

MichaelD3
Hobbyist

Classic PowerSchool: build a half-baked feature and then offer to charge you to fix it.

biraboomm
Recruit

I currently work for a school district that has activated its Incident Management.  Everything is going well with the exception of giving the teachers access to it with their access in PowerTeacher Pro. 

ArnoldK
Journeyman

Biraboomm,

Are you having issues giving your teachers access to the Incident Management menu? We have ours up and running now and are pleased with how the teacher and the admin sides work for reporting incidents.