How does using the missing assignment tag affect the grade average?

mknowles
Journeyman

How does using the missing assignment tag affect the grade average?

I was asked if the tag Missing for an assignment affects the grade/average of a student?

Do any tags affect the grade/average?

I know collected would not affect the grade, but I just want to know what to tell my teachers. When we synced from Schoology, missing reported a grade of zero. Thank you for your help.

5 Replies
jasonbengs
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

It depends on your grade setup.  You can set Missing to automatically have a point value or leave it unscored.  I would set mine to 50% because we were 50 based and I wanted my students/parents to be aware of what the grade would be if it were left missing.  

Jason Bengs, M. Ed
SIS/Database Administrator

Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution. Thanks!

Mentors_badgeChampions_badge
mknowles
Journeyman

Interesting news. How do you set up the point value?

jasonbengs
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

After you asked I went in to double check the process.  It has been close to a year since I have had to do that.  I forgot that I had set that up for my assignments in Canvas that synced over to PowerSchool.  

When it was an assignment inside of PTP I would enter the 50% value for the assignment, add the missing tag, then fill down to mark it for all remaining students.  

I think you could use a special score code to do it and when I find a more direct way to do it I will add another reply.  

Jason Bengs, M. Ed
SIS/Database Administrator

Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution. Thanks!

Mentors_badgeChampions_badge
lmwowk

How do you do this?? I can't seem to find the option to change missing to 0.

KritiS
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @lmwowk 

In order to find out which grade scale you are referring which has value missing, we recommend reaching out to the Technical Support Contact of your district who should be able to connect with the PowerSchool SIS Support Team on your behalf. The Support Team would be able to access your setup and help rectify the reason for this issue along with the troubleshooting steps.

KritiS
Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If a suggestion helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the solution, too!