Can you add preferred names?

mattm1124
Padawan

Can you add preferred names?

Is there a way teachers can add preferred names in Power teacher Pro? This feature would be helpful for when printing rosters. I know years ago teachers had that option when you had to launch Gradebook. Since that update (Around 2018), I haven't seen that option anywhere. I'm pretty sure admins can do change the name in the system, but I'm looking for a way to just change it in my Power Teacher for roster use so that way it doesn't change it for all of the system. 

I know I could just export rosters to excel and make my own, but I don't want to miss potential changes when kids are added and removed from my class.

Thanks for any help.

9 Replies
JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Hi @mattm1124 that functionality is not currently built-in to PT Pro, although as you mention there are a number of workarounds.

This will likely also depend on the state/province you live in; in New York, guidance from State Ed is to change all names in the SIS to reflect the student's preferred name, so you would not have two separate names. 

Hi @mattm1124@JeffG9 

I'm in Louisiana and we need to add the preferred name to PowerTeacher Pro. What are the work-arounds?  

thanks, in advance!

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@reynoldsnYou can run a class roster report, select Excel for the output and then simply alter the spreadsheet. You could also run a class roster report and add a Blank column, which you could type "Preferred Name" into and fill it in yourself after you print the report. LA may have state-specific fields that you may be able to utilize as well.

There is also the possibility of customization, if you or someone in your district is able.

@JeffG9 

Does the teacher have access to do this?  Are these templates for export standard in the PTP gradebook.

I apologize, but allowing a teacher to see the student's preferred name to best support the student should not require additional $$$ as special customization.  It should be a part of the standard, primary gradebook tool for the teacher.

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@reynoldsn  The reports I mentioned are part of out-of-the-box PT Pro.

As to your second point, hey, I don't work for PowerSchool.

Thanks Jeff. I didn't think that was an option anymore for teachers but wanted to see if I was just missing something. I know you don't work for PowerSchools, but I hope they add it back at some point!

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@mattm1124They finally added Groups back into PT Pro (although you can only use the feature on Production Servers, which is ridiculous, IMO), so who knows!

PowerSchool Champion

So how do you get the options for groups in PowerTeacher Pro?

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

It was added to PT Pro in PowerSchool 22.5.