Assignments are automatically exempt

mswyatt

Assignments are automatically exempt

When I create new assignments in Schoology, my entire assignment is exempt. Under the assignment name, it is labeled exempt. If I edit the assignment, in the options section, count in grade is disable. I must edit each assignment and click the count in Grade enabled option.

Is there a way to enable the count in grade before  I publish the assignment?

Thanks

13 Replies
kdonohue214
Recruit

I noticed this just happened to one of my assignments as well.  It did not do it for any of my other assignments - just one. Not sure why it is happening because it was never an issue before.

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@kdonohue214 @mswyatt 

I do not use Schoology, but in PT Pro, Assignments created in a Category will automatically use the Category Defaults. It is possible that the category is set to not count in final grade by default. See attached.

Community Support Expert

Hi @mswyatt @kdonohue214 

I am sorry to hear that you are having an issue with assignments defaulting to exempt. 

When you create a new assignment, you should have an option to count it in grade enabled.

Do you recall if this occurred with a particular entry method? As an assignment vs an event on the calendar?

Did your issue get resolved? Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on helpful posts to thank the author and help others find the solution.

Cindy
PowerSchool Community Support
sdelarocha
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

This has happened to a couple of my teachers too and we don't know how to fix it. 

sdelarocha
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Where do you click the count in grade enable option. I can't find it 

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@sdelarocha The setting exists on the Assignment Defaults tab when creating/editing a Category, and on the Assignment tab when creating/editing an Assignment. See attached.

PowerSchool Champion

Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 10.05.55 AM.png

this problem is happening to my teachers in Schoology. I we can't reverse the exempt, we don't know where to click it 

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

I have no access to Schoology, but take a look here and in the attached screenshot.

https://uc.powerschool-docs.com/en/schoology/latest/how-do-i-use-exceptions-in-my-gradebook

Hey,

I will exempt certain students in that manner, but this is the entire assignment mark Exempt. The Assignment "Costume Construction should be 25 pts just like the Scenery Construction assignment.

Schoology Issuse.PNG

cwarren
Journeyman

I just found that by going into PowerSchool and editing the assignment - the box for "Count in Traditional Final Grade" was not checked. Schoology still has the assignment as EXEMPT, but at least PowerSchool is including the grade in it's calculations.

Schoology Issuse fix.PNG

cwarren
Journeyman

This just happened to me. I set up the Assignment as always and I even compared it to the previous assignment - everything matched with the exception to showing up "exempt" under one and the points under the previous. I then went to PowerSchool and it shows to calculate it in the final grade, but is marked Exempt. I can not figure out how to change/fix this. Everything "looks" correct, but is not.

kgetty
Journeyman

Here is the solution!

It's pretty hidden in the bottom bar of options in the edit window. This needs to be clicked as ENABLED for it to show up as points in the gradebook.

If it is greyed-out (disabled) it will show up as Exempt in the Gradebook (see pic below)

kristinagetty_0-1710518470668.png

kristinagetty_1-1710518637833.png

sdelarocha
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Thanks