Entering Equivalent Credit for a Dual Credit Course

Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering Equivalent Credit for a Dual Credit Course


The Ministry has indicated that special consideration can be given to a student who does not successfully complete a dual credit course, withdraws from the college course, or is given an incomplete code from the college rather than a percentage mark. In this situation, the principal may award a secondary credit using the Prior Learning process and PLE code in consultation with the Student Success Team, student and parent (if applicable). This article describes the steps required to complete this action.


The PLE courses are created through Transcript Information.  Within Trillium, the standard naming convention for senior PLE courses is to use PLE3N, along with the sixth character of your choice.


In order to successfully report the student's equivalency credits, only one PLE1N and one PLE3N course can be reported for the student during a submission period. Reporting of the equivalent credits is based on the earned credit date, in this case April 1/20 to June 30/20.  If the student already has a PLE3N course to be reported, then this dual credit equivalency credit should be added to it.  If the student has a PLE1N course with more than 16 credits, the OnSIS Snapshot will report this as two PLE courses (one for junior credits, the other for senior credits).  In this situation, the additional equivalent credit should be added to the PLE1N course. If the student has no PLE courses for the submission period, the school can create a PLE3N course for reporting the dual credit equivalency.


The Course type should be set to 'Day School', not 'Equivalent' in order to be processed correctly by the Compulsory Credit Calculations. The 'Date Credit Earned' should be set to a date within the June OnSIS submission (April 1 to June 30). No final mark will be entered, and the earned credit should remain zero when first adding the record.





Once the course has been saved, the Equivalent Credit Distribution tab will become enabled.  Use this tab to enter the earned credit value under the appropriate requirement area.  Since dual credits do not count towards any OSSD 1999 compulsory credit requirement area, the earned credit value will typically be entered in the elective credits box.





Use the Report Card tab of Transcription Information to indicate that this course should appear on the student's report card. Check on the 'Print on Report Card' box to enable the fields on this tab.  Select the report period for which the course should print.  Note that report period F is not available. 


The tab will provide several fields that can be used to populate the report card elements.  None of the fields are mandatory.