School at Capacity and Unable to Register Student

Emily_Sharpe89
Recruit

School at Capacity and Unable to Register Student

I recently moved from Southern Maryland to Alexandria VA and my son, Lucas, is due to start 1st grade next week.  He is zoned for Patrick Henry (the elementary school I submitted all documentation for, and for which I paid for the Power On After care program too), however, I received a call this morning that the 1st grade section at Patrick Henry is "at capacity" and that he will not be attending next week.  So now, I have no idea what school I am supposed to have him go to and was not told on when or if he will be placed at another school.  I called to several other area schools who informed me that they too are either "at capacity" or that their after care programs such as Power On or Campana are "at capacity" too.  I have tried to contact the school board and the central office directly several times but no one ever answers and I am unable to leave a voicemail because the mailbox is full.  What am I supposed to do now to ensure my son can attend school next week?  I have never had so much difficulty in my life for simply registering for a public school or after care program...

1 Reply
JyotishkaB
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @Emily_Sharpe89 

Thank you for reaching out for assistance. The PowerSchool Community is a great resource if you have any changes to be made while completing fields within the enrollment form.   

If the school you have enrolled your child in is at maximum capacity, you may need to transfer your child to another school within the district. I recommend contacting your district again as the district should be able to assign the school for your child and provide the best steps to move forward when enrolling students.   

Jyotishka B.
Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!