Help

Preferred name vs. First name - Student display names

randomuser1234
Trainee

Preferred name vs. First name - Student display names

Ive seen many places, though, schools and universities that are not my own, show a feature in schoology that allow you to have your first name on file/on your account as well as a preferred first name. This also includes the feature/option to replace your display name (first name) with your preferred first name.
My school allows for display name changes, however, you as a student are not allowed to change it yourself. They claim that the display name has to revert to your legal name every night for legal/grade purposes, which doesnt make any sense to me. this requires students to email IT every morning to have their display names changed for the day. this isnt any fun to explain to professors, nor does it save any time for an overwhelmed IT department.
Is the "preferred first name" still a feature in schoology and this is just a case of my school not knowing it exists? or is it possible that my uni is refusing to enable it and needlessly putting students who dont go by their legal name in uncomfortable positions?

1 Reply
christn
Padawan

Hi! You can definitely do this - my school district (PA) has it set up this way. Kids submit a preferred name form and that's the only name that anyone can see unless they have admin access to legal name. This is a permanent change.