PowerScheduler - Same Course Number Different Lengths

cmcurley
Apprentice

PowerScheduler - Same Course Number Different Lengths

Hello! 

New to PowerScheduler here and am supporting our guidance team in our first go round building the master scheduler in the system.

We have a course that is a high school course, but also being offered to our middle schoolers as an elective. The course number is the same for both groups. For high schoolers, the course is a year-long/two semester course. For middle schoolers, it is a single semester course. 

When I try to set the course up for scheduling, I get an error saying that the terms are invalid because I've selected 23-24 AND S1, S2 as the associated terms. 

Is there a way to use the same course code AND schedule the course for different lengths. I'm open to suggestions. 

3 Replies
JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

You should be able to do that. Do you have all the Terms defined in Years & Terms?

Yes. We have it set up for 23-24 being the full year and then the terms set up as S1 and S2. 

I got an error of invalid mix of terms for having both 23-24 and S1 and S2 selected as valid terms.

KritiS
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @cmcurley 

A course can not have both year long term with semester long terms. Depending upon the length of the course only terms that have the same length as the course can be used.

for example: it can only have Valid terms S1,S2 or Y1. Not Y1 and S1,S2.

For further assistance, we recommend reaching out to your Technical Contact who should be able to access this article: Checklist-Build-and-Load and assist you further.

You can either create a new course and then assign the terms or you can create 2 sections with different term lengths and then assign that same course for those sections. 

KritiS
Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If a suggestion helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the solution, too!