HTTP Status 401 – Unauthorized - Google SSO - One User Unable to Login

techpenguin
Rookie

HTTP Status 401 – Unauthorized - Google SSO - One User Unable to Login

Hello all, 

New to a district that uses Powerschool. We have one user who gets the above error when attempting to access PS. No other users report any issues. He can also log into a different PS instance for a different district with the same SSO/Google account. I have tried the couple of fixes I have found in threads here but none have been successful so far. Anyone seen this issue before? 

techpenguin_0-1699388328853.png

4 Replies
Reshma
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @techpenguin,

The observed issue may stem from various causes, including the possibility that the user is locked on the Access Accounts page or that the Single Sign-On (SSO) or OpenID Connect (OIDC) setup is not configured correctly.  Please check this article for more information. 

Reshma
PowerSchool Community Support Expert

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
mtatro
Apprentice

This occasionally happens here where one student gets a 401 unauthorized message when attempting to sign in with SSO. When it happens here it means that the student's account has been locked out due to too many failed login attempts. I unlock the account on the accounts access page and they no longer get the error. I wish the error would just say that to begin with  as it took a while for me to find the problem

GayleT
Apprentice

I am also getting this issue with one staff member.  The account is not locked and I cannot find any reason as to why one staff member is getting the error HTTP Status 401 – Unauthorized

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JyotishkaB
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @GayleT 

This error can happen if there was no value or the value was wrong for the IDP URL so the SIS cannot validate the issuer and does not know where to redirect the users. If you have a Network Firewall that could also be blocking traffic so you may want to check with your Firewall Admin as well.

For further investigation on what could be causing this issue, we would recommend submitting a ticket with the Support team. You can submit a support ticket via the Case PortalThis article will guide you with the steps for creating a case.

Jyotishka B.
Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!