Help

Allow hyphenated last names?

ksherwi
Padawan

Allow hyphenated last names?

Hi,
Can anyone tell me the best way to request that PowerSchool allow hyphens in student names? Right now the options are for the school to combine both names into one word or separate them into two words by a space. Neither is a good option for younger students just learning to spell and write their names correctly.

The school says this is a PowerSchool issue. How can I make this request to PowerSchool and find out if it's on their roadmap to address?

Thank you!

2 Solutions
JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

PowerSchool does allow hyphens in names. 

View solution in original post

nicolebond
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

We have a lot of students in my district with hyphenated names in PS.

Nicole Bond
Director of Attendance and Enrollment
Haywood County Schools
Brownsville, TN

Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution. Thanks!

Mentors_badgeChampions_badge

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

PowerSchool does allow hyphens in names. 

PowerSchool Mentor

We have a lot of students in my district with hyphenated names in PS.

Nicole Bond
Director of Attendance and Enrollment
Haywood County Schools
Brownsville, TN

Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution. Thanks!

Mentors_badgeChampions_badge
ksherwi
Padawan

Thank you @nicolebond and @JeffG9. I'm glad you pointed this out. Your responses led me to call our school district (West Contra Costa County, CA) and it turns out it's the district's decision to not support hyphens because of issues it causes during data-retrieval and reporting. I will mark this as solved and continue at the district level instead of with PowerSchool. Thanks!