Issues with Google Handouts

Highlighted
Rookie

Issues with Google Handouts

Is anyone else experiencing issues with teachers and students using Handout assignments?

We have systemic issues throughout our district that seem to be affecting both students and teachers. Students can't open or edit handouts (sporadically), students can't open any handout, students can't submit handouts, students can't attach additional documents to handouts... etc. I would appreciate any insights you may have or troubleshooting you may have tried. Thank you all! 

6 Replies
Highlighted
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Re: Issues with Google Handouts

In my testing, I have definitely seen issues and slowness in students opening up Google Handouts in the Unified Classroom. When uploading files, students sometimes have to click Google Drive twice before it responds. But like everything else with the UC, it's soooo slow!

Dan Morgan
Saint Mary's College High School
Berkeley, CA
PowerSchool Hosted - v 20.4.3 - 600 Students
PowerSchool User and Admin since 2000
Highlighted
Rookie

Thank you for your reply! We are seeing a wide variety of issues, inconsistently across students and staff. Are you thinking your issues are stemming from Google integration? Or other?

Highlighted
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi! @mtalbot 

I see that you were able to connect with the Unified Classroom Support team for assistance and the case has been escalated for further review.  I recommend continuing to work with the team in the case since our support engineers can take a closer look at the issue and provide you with updates via the case. 

We also encourage other users to share any experience they might have around this topic and if they have tried or created something that has worked well for them.

Muskan Sehar

PowerSchool Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If a suggestion solves your issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the solution, too!
Community Moderator
Highlighted
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

I had teachers report the same thing to me.  I logged in as my sample student, selected an assignment w/ Google handout and was able to access, edit and submit no problem.  So... prepared to tell my teachers, "It's you... not the system..." I left everything open on my system to demonstrate to them via zoom the next morning.  Well... color me embarrased!  I experienced exactly what they were talking about!  I was stuck in a loading loop w/ Google and when I clicked on the Drive logo it did NOT make a copy of the handout.  Therefore, when the student went to submit they were told they didn't have ownership of the file! So... it was a perfect demonstration of what was going wrong.  I told them, "Hmmm... I didn't log out yesterday.  Let me log out and start fresh to see if that makes a difference!"  And YES!!! It DID!!! How many students (and teachers...) just close their laptop/Chromebook at the end of the day and how many actually log out of Google or UC?? When I logged in fresh I was able to show them how I had no issues accessing (handout opened immediately!) and submit was seamless! When a submission got hungup (they had edited in Drive not in UC...) clicking the refresh (arrow circle) in Chrome fixed it immediately and the desired file appeared.

Hope this bit of info helps you too!

Victoria A. Provost, Dist. Data Coordinator and PowerSchool System Admin
Windham NH School District (PK-12, ~3,000 students)
PS User 9+ years: Currently PS 20.4.3, Hosted, Unified Classroom, PowerSchool Learning, and Enrollment

“Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.” - St. Jerome
Highlighted
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

The unfortunately reality is the issue is so random it really can't be duplicated. All of my issues happened when opening up the browser and logging in fresh. Most times it works fine, but then it will randomly not work properly. It's like bringing your car to a mechanic and the problem won't show up, but as soon as you get home, there it goes again. Random occurrences are the hardest to troubleshoot.  

Dan Morgan
Saint Mary's College High School
Berkeley, CA
PowerSchool Hosted - v 20.4.3 - 600 Students
PowerSchool User and Admin since 2000
Highlighted
Rookie

Thanks all for sharing! The issues you both share sound similar to those we are encountering. These errors are sporadic- yet systemic, throughout our two middle schools and high schools- and we are seeking any information we can find from other districts.

When trying to duplicate the issues, we are also experiencing the same frustrations. Often, this issue will happen to a student for 20 minutes- and by the time I can get to the classroom, it may have been solved. Or it is happening on a student chromebook- and I can't replicate on their account on my chromebook or desktop. Or (the worst situation) the student is remote, and we can't troubleshoot in person. Students are getting adept at taking screencasts to demonstrate the issues they are seeing- that's a small win, I guess! 

We have tried logging in and out, clearing cache and cookies- the simple solutions. Please share anything that has worked for you.