Adding Unified Classroom Basic assignment from learning page

RYANS28
Journeyman

Adding Unified Classroom Basic assignment from learning page

I'm able to add a Basic Assignment in Unified Classroom from every page except my learning page. Can this be added to the top so I don't have to switch back and forth from class page and dashboard just to add an assignment? See the picture below, this menu isn't available on my class pages.

Screenshot 2019-08-19 at 3.17.05 PM.png

3 Replies
Community Moderator jamiem7
Community Moderator

Re: Adding Unified Classroom Basic assignment from learning page

Thank you for reaching out to the PowerSchool Community!

PowerSchool Learning assignments are created within Class Pages.  Unified Classroom assignments can be created using the Unified Classroom dashboard.  Depending on the type of assignment you would like to create will determine in which module the assignment should be created.

I have submitted a feature request to the PowerSchool Product Team to request the Unified Classroom assignments can be viewed in the PowerSchool Learning class pages module.  Thank you for your suggestion to improve Unified Classroom for all users.

Jamie H.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
jamunger

I have the same problem, but I don't feel the moderator's response addresses this situation. 

In the past, I have been able to create a Learning assignment with associated dropbox for students. That assignment was posted both in the Learning module and the Unified Classroom module, so I could grade it either from Learning or from UC. This integration of assignments from Learning posting to PowerSchool Pro was one of the first features of the unified system and has been beautifully streamlined and improved as the two modules have been upgraded into UC. 

In the most recent update to the whole program, this functionality has been removed: the Learning gradebook is completely removed from the UC gradebook. As a user, this choice makes no sense to me: I access the modules from the same dashboard, but their integration has been undone. 

Additionally, the UC dropbox is not a viable alternate for me at this point. It is easy for me to set up a UC dropbox when creating an assignment through the UC module. It is several extra clicks for students to access that dropbox to turn in their assignments contrasted with the two clicks in Learning. The UC dropbox is buggy for students, with students often needing to submit and resubmit and resubmit when they are dropping more than one file. On my end, grading UC dropbox assignments is a pain. I get a tiny notification on the bell that there's student work to look at. I have to download the file, open the download, look at it, level the work, and then click back to UC to record grades. I then have to press the Save button (because control-S isn't an option) or my work is lost. When I grade in Learning, the file opens in the same screen, scores automatically save when I click between students, and I have the option to click just between ungraded work rather than clicking through all the posted work.

Learning is a much better designed solution for the user (both student and teacher) for dropbox assignments. When Learning and UC were working together, I could do an equally simple and friendly version of the side-by-side viewing/grading.

So, while I appreciate the moderator's offer of adding the ability to see UC module-created assignments in Learning, that isn't what I want, nor is it functionality I'd find useful. I'd like to get back the previous functionality of seeing Learning module-created assignments in the UC gradebook.

Community Moderator jamiem7
Community Moderator

Thank you for sharing your feedback!

The ability to create assignments within Learning is available.  PowerSchool Admin within each district has the ability to disable the feature within Unified Classroom for all users.  I recommend reaching out to the PowerSchool Admin within your district to recommend the feature is enabled again.

You should be able to view the most common file type in the viewer next to the score inspector.  There are exceptions based on the files.  Would you please provide the file type you are using?

The Unified Classroom Product Team has confirmed they are working to review options to improve the flow for students and teachers by reducing clicks and making Unified Classroom a more user-friendly site for both students and teachers.

Jamie H.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!