Student self check-in attendance

stemfrommills
Journeyman

Student self check-in attendance

I'd like to make a suggestion to eliminate the attendance taking TOIL that teachers face every hour.  Students ought to be responsible for checking themselves into class, certainly if schools provide students with 1:1 devices.  Software solutions already exist for a task like this (https://blog.campusgroups.com/campusgroups/2018/11/8/self-check-in).  Could PowerSchool implement a solution like this?

4 Replies
ItsOnlyDoug
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

The PowerSchool Ideas portal may be a better spot for a suggestion like this and it would require product enhancement.  You can find that here:

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 11.41.33 AM.png

One thing that immediately jumps to my mind though is the need for accurate attendance data. Many (if not all) states require the reporting of accurate attendance data for a variety of state reports. In some states, those reports are tied to school funding. Placing the onus of accurate data on the student, the student's school issued device, or the student's home network may adversely affect those state reports.

It's a tricky area, but if you post it in the ideas portal and enough people get eyes on it, I'm sure PowerSchool would look into it.

Doug Skinner

District Instructional Data Officer
Gateway Regional School District

Did your issue get solved? Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution.

stemfrommills
Journeyman

Thanks for the direction! I'll be sure to put the suggestion there.

tmdean
Journeyman

Is there a Self Certification Form that guardians can use to answer question prior to their students returning to school.

Reshma
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @tmdean,

Thank you for your question in PowerSchool Community!

This is a great question!  Currently, PowerSchool SIS doesn't have a feature that enables a Self Certification Form that parents/guardians can use to answer questions prior to their students returning to school.  However, we have Enrollment InfoSnap that can meet your requirements with a form. This Enrollment form helps asks parents a question before the next school year so that parents can answer. 

Reshma
PowerSchool Community Support Expert

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!