PowerSchool Mobile Push Notifications Not Working for Students 2020-21 School Year

yvonnedodds
Journeyman

PowerSchool Mobile Push Notifications Not Working for Students 2020-21 School Year

Our school formed a committee to find out what could be done to support students to raise their grades.  In talking with our students we discovered that none of the students in our school are receiving push notifications on their phones anymore.  They have received them last year and previous years when teachers input or changed grades or marked a student absent.  This year 2020-21 no students in our school have been able to receive push notifications.  Our District IT dept says the settings are correct.  We have had the students walk through the uninstall / reinstall and other PS recommended trouble shooting, but push notifications are still not working.

7 Replies
DanM3
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Re: PowerSchool Mobile Push Notifications Not Working for Students 2020-21 School Year

I would have your District IT department check again. It's a school setting and not a district wide setting. (It's also a little counter intuitive, the box needs to be UNCHECKED for push notifications to be enabled.

Dan Morgan
Saint Mary's College High School - Berkeley, CA
PowerSchool Hosted - v 20.4.3 - 600 Students
PowerSchool User and Admin since 2000

yvonnedodds
Journeyman

Re: PowerSchool Mobile Push Notifications Not Working for Students 2020-21 School Year

Just forwarded this on to our District IT manager.  Thank you!!!!

yvonnedodds
Journeyman

Thank you for sending that suggestion.  They just emailed back with a screen shot for our school that shows it's unchecked and looks correct, so that's not the issue.

mikeburt
Journeyman

We are experiencing the same issue with our district.  It worked until mid/late November and then stopped.

yvonnedodds
Journeyman

I'm so sorry you are experiencing this as well, but I am SO happy to see this technology validation from another district!! I don't know if ours were working at all this year, but it's affecting our student's performance because they are not finding out about bad grades until weeks later.  It's driving me crazy - I want to figure out the fix!

DanM3
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@yvonnedodds Sorry my idea to double check didn't work. We turned off our push notifications once PowerSchool gave us the ability to do so. We found the push and the old green and red arrows to be unhealthy for the mental health of our students. Also the attendance push caused problems when a wrong student was marked absent. (I had this happen to me a few years ago where I marked the wrong student as absent, realized my mistake and corrected it. Within 30 seconds the student came up to me after having already received a text from her mother asking why she wasn't in class!)

To keep the students on track, I would recommend that you let the students and parents know to check the mobile app every couple of days to stay on top of grade changes. 

Dan Morgan
Saint Mary's College High School - Berkeley, CA
PowerSchool Hosted - v 20.4.3 - 600 Students
PowerSchool User and Admin since 2000

yvonnedodds
Journeyman

I appreciate your response.  There are many teachers that agree with you on the notifications and red / green arrows.  Our work around was to tell parents and students to check PowerSchool every few days and that seems to be helping.  Thank you!