Q: How do I create invitations for all the parents at my school?
A: You can use the Parent Invitations tool in the Domain Control to create and export parent invitations for all of your students.
Export Parent Invitations
To generate and export Parent Invitations, log in to PowerSchool Learning as an administrator and open the domain controls.
- Click on the Manage Domain menu and choose Parent Invitations.
- In the Parent Invitations window you can choose between creating Parent Invitation codes for all Students or just for recently created Students.
- Click on export to begin the process. Depending on the number of Students in your system this process can take several minutes.
- When the export has completed you will see a link to a CSV file. This file contains the students information, the Parent Invitations code, and the URL Parents can visit to sign up.
Create Invitation Letter
Using the CSV file created by the Parent Invitations tool, along with your Office Productivity Software, you can create personalized Invitation letters for each Student by using the Mail Merge function.
- If you're using Microsoft Office, follow the directions in this walkthrough.
- If you're using Libre Office, just launch the mail merge wizard.
- If you're using Open Office, follow the directions in this walkthrough.
Below is an example of a form letter that you might use with Parent Invitations.
Dear Parent of <student_firstname>, <student_lastname>,
Exampleville District utilizes PowerSchool Learning as a parent portal to provide you with the most up-to-date information regarding your child's assignments, schedule and grades.
Here are the instructions to create your parent account for PowerSchool Learning:
For your child, <student_firstname>:
Visit the webpage: <invitation_code_link>
Use your parent invitation code: <invitation_code>
- You’ll be prompted to sign in or create an account.
- If this is your first time using the portal, click the Register link to create your account.
- Enter your own name and password (don’t use your child’s).
- If you have additional children you wish to attach to this account you will have an opportunity to do so at this time.
- Once you’re signed in, you should see all classes for <student_firstname>.
Please distribute to:
Please contact the district office at firstname.lastname@example.org should you need assistance with this process.
Suggestion: If you need to be able to sort Invitations for distribution you can include the id for each Student's Homeroom, or any other identifying information, in the three user_custom fields in your users_custom.csv import file. These fields are also included in your Parent Invitations export. Please contact your School Advisor.
Note: We at PowerSchool Learning are not mail merge experts, and we're not able to provide detailed support for office suites like Microsoft Office or LibreOffice. If you have questions that go beyond the basics covered in this article, your best bet is to get in touch with the support team for your office suite.
Check out the process Parents will use to Accept your Invitations for more information!