PSL to Schoology - migration - anybody got to the promised land?

Steve_NSW
Hobbyist

PSL to Schoology - migration - anybody got to the promised land?

I am curious - can anybody update me on -

1. Where are things at with regard to the development/roll out of the PSL - Schoology migration tool?

2. Has anybody done a migration  - was it painless, (on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being unmitigating  agony)

3. Has anybody worked with the trial full product of Schoology yet? Did it go well. I was disappointed to be told a few weeks ago that we could only have access to the trial full product for around 3-4 weeks and that threw us back so much that we had to review our timeline again.

Thanks, in anticipation !

Steve

8 Replies
jamiem7
Lead Community Moderator
Lead Community Moderator

The migration tool between PowerSchool Learning and Schoology is undergoing a test and expected to be ready this year, however, your Customer Success Manager should be reaching out to you to discuss the migration, the future plan for PowerSchool Learning, and can connect you with a current Schoology customer for their Schoology experience.

Jamie H.
Lead Community Moderator

Explore becoming a PowerSchool Mentor today!
Amy_Alvis
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@Steve_NSW We've used Schoology for 5 yrs and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Exceptional People Offering Exceptional Solutions
Explore Becoming a PowerSchool Mentor today!

Steve_NSW
Hobbyist

Hi Amy

I am incredibly grateful for your kindness and thoughtfulness in offering to help. I am sure that I will be coming to you to ask for some guidance or help - your experience will be invaluable.

My issue at the moment is more to do with migration from Haiku to Schoology. I am currently speaking with PowerSchool staff and we will see what their current timescale is for rolling out the migration tool but the fact that nobody has yet done a real live migration does kind of make me feel that PowerSchool are continuing to have problems with the tool. I can fully understand this from my past experience, but I just want them to keep us informed.

DanM3
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

It's my understanding and recollection that this migration tool was promised to be delivered by December 2020. You mean it's still not ready?

Dan Morgan
Saint Mary's College High School - Berkeley, CA
PowerSchool Hosted - v 20.4.3 - 600 Students
PowerSchool User and Admin since 2000

Steve_NSW
Hobbyist

Hi Dan

Nope - it seems that it is going to make an appearance later this year. As you will appreciate, this kind fo makes it very challenging for schools wanting to migrate for this coming September. I have worked in online learning for over 20 years and I know form experience how challenging it is to migrate courses form one platform to another. My own feeling is that it is almost impossible to do a clean migrate, where everything is as it was before the migration. So, I do have some sympathy with PowerSchool. I just wish that they would be more open and up-front. 

I also know how messy it is to clean up a migrated course when you have to go through every single module to check that migration has happened correctly. Almost certainly it would be easier and definitely less stressful to actually rebuild courses from scratch, copying from the old platform to the new wherever possible.

jamiem7
Lead Community Moderator
Lead Community Moderator

A bulk content migration tool has been built and is completing testing.  We expect it to be available within the next few weeks.  This tool will be run by PowerSchool Professional Services after the current school year ends to ensure that all of the 2020-2021 school year’s content is brought over all at once. 

If you have any questions on how other districts are using Schoology and their review, I recommend asking those questions in this thread.  @Amy_Alvis has posted that she is happy to share the experience of users in her district.

Jamie H.
Lead Community Moderator

Explore becoming a PowerSchool Mentor today!
DanM3
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Does anyone know if the PowerSchool Learning/Unified Classroom to Schoology migration tool is finished yet?

Dan Morgan
Saint Mary's College High School - Berkeley, CA
PowerSchool Hosted - v 20.4.3 - 600 Students
PowerSchool User and Admin since 2000

Steve_NSW
Hobbyist

I think that the answer is 'yes'. We have requested that a number of our courses be migrated over the next week or so, but have yet to receive confirmation that it will happen.
I have also found that I can actually manually migrate individual courses with a fair amount of success. I was fairly sceptical of how good any migration tool would be and had actually concluded that we would end up building courses manually. However, the migration tool works pretty well, although there are weaknesses - especially with regard to images. I don't think Schoology manages the screen as well as Haikulearning - I do think it was much easier to build a module that looked good in Haiku. 
But I am happier than I thought i was going to be, and I think that there is a route forward that I can now see.