Unable to access schoology groups created via api

mbezaire
Practitioner

Unable to access schoology groups created via api

When I post a new group to Schoology's  https://api.schoology.com/v1/groups endpoint (with the title and description fields and any of the invite_type settings within options), I get back a 200 code and json data including the Schoology ID and more, suggesting it worked.

However, if I try to visit the group in my website, example  https://andoverlms.schoology.com/group/12345, I receive this message:

Private Access Only

The privacy settings on the page you are trying to visit do not allow your access. Please navigate Home to continue using Schoology.

Likewise, if after creating a group I attempt to use the newly found Schoology ID (not access code) of the group to add myself as an active member or as an admin, I get  an error 403 (forbidden). I try to post a member to the group using:

So it appears the API allows me to create groups which I then have no access to. What am I doing wrong?

3 Replies
ParitoshT
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @mbezaire,

I recommend reviewing this article on API documentation for Schoology Group to make sure that you are setting your fields correctly and performing the correct operations. 

Additionally, you created might be set to "Invite Only" and that might be the reason why others are unable to access it. In order to troubleshoot this issue further we might need to take a closer look at your setup by accessing your site. To protect your data privacy, I recommend reaching out to the Schoology team through a support case who should be able to assist you further with this.

Additionally, I recommend reviewing the Guide to Schoology groups.

ParitoshT

Community Moderator  

mbezaire
Practitioner

Hi @ParitoshT , thank you for your suggestions. To clarify, I can't access the groups I create through the API (not yet checking others' access, just my own for my created groups). I have tried creating groups with each access setting - invite only, request to join, and anyone can join. I am not able to see, access, or join any of the groups I create via the API.

I will try to place a support ticket for this.

CindyOp
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @mbezaire 

You may need to contact your district Schoology support contact for help submitting a support case to the Schoology team.

I also wanted to let you know that you will have access to more Schoology resources in the PowerSchool Community if you connect your Schoology account to your community account. This article will guide you through the process.

Did your issue get resolved? Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on helpful posts to thank the author and help others find the solution.

Cindy
PowerSchool Community Support