Students Deleted from Roster (along with grades). Please help!

Highlighted
LexingtonMandarin

Students Deleted from Roster (along with grades). Please help!

I am using Power School Learning with a standards based gradebook.  Yesterday I added my 7th grade students to my 8th grade class by importing from the 7th grade roster.  After that, I sorted the students into two sections (one for the old 8th grade students, and one for the new 7th grade students).  Half way through the process, all of my old 8th grade students dissappeared, taking their grades with them.  I have re-added the 8th grade students by entering their e-mail addresses and sending invites, but they recieve an error message when they try to re-enroll. 

Grades are due in this week, and all of my students' grade data is gone.  Please help!

3 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Students Deleted from Roster (along with grades). Please help!

Hi @LexingtonMandarin

Thank you for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear you are having some trouble with your roster and grades. Here are a few things to try that may help with what you are seeing.

Students who are removed from a roster retain their data in your gradebook. If you have any removed students, you can first make sure they are revealed on your roster by going to Manage Class > Edit Roster > Manage Roster > Roster Settings. Be sure to uncheck hide removed students to help reveal any that have been removed. Here is an article to help with this:

https://help.powerschool.com/t5/Learning-Rosters-Invitations/How-do-I-hide-or-reveal-removed-student...

Once this is done, you'll see students that have removed. You can manually get them back to active status on your roster by using Manage > Enable Student next to the students you would like to update. 

Students can only be on the roster of a class once. If you have reinvited students, this is why they may be having trouble with the invitation since they are technically still on the roster with that removed status. Once you enable them, they should be able to log in and access your class as usual. 

Please let us know if these steps work for you or if we can continue to help with this.

JbidK
PowerSchool Community Manager
LexingtonMandarin

Hi jbidk,

Thanks for the speedy reply! 

I have gone to Manage Class > Edit Roster > Manage Roster > Roster Settings and unchecked "hide removed students".  The good news is that all of my students' grades are back (phew!)  The bad news is that I can also now see all students from past years.  

When I try to manage the roster, "Enable Student" is not an option.

Please Advise,

J

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @LexingtonMandarin

I took a look at the image you shared. You won't see enable as an option for students who are listed as unconfirmed. You will see that option for any student who is on your roster with removed next to their name. 

Also, it sounds like you are reusing the same class each year. Doing this means that all student data from past years is contained within the same class. One option is to start fresh each year with a new copy of the class. When you copy a class (Manage Class > Save Class As), you can start with a new class each year, the data from past years won't copy over, just the content. You can then add your new roster to the new class.

It sounds like you are currently reporting grades for this year's students. Once you are done with this year and are ready for next year, and if the copy option sounds like a good fit, here is a resource to help with how to use this option:

https://help.powerschool.com/t5/Learning-Classes-Pages-Blocks/How-do-I-close-my-classes-at-the-end-o...

I hope this is helpful. Please let us know if you have any questions.

JbidK
PowerSchool Community Manager