Student Passwords

snickson
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Student Passwords

Apparently, with the new update to PowerSchool SIS, now only the accountholder has access to see the student's password. I'm not sure if the accountholder is the student or parent. But this means that I'm now unable to give a student his/her password to login and see their grades. I did an overall reset of logins for all students and was able to give some students their new username. However, when they tried to reset their password, they were instructed to enter an email. But the students never receive the email to reset it. I'm not sure what email address they should put. In the meantime, the students are frustrated because they have no access and I'm at a complete loss. Can ANYONE HELP ME???? 😞 

1 Solution
snickson
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

After speaking with PowerSchool. I was given an answer. I reset all of the students' password to a standard one like TEST2023. The password must meet the requirements that is specified in your SIS. I exported all of the students onto an excel spreadsheet by student number and user ID that's in PowerSchool. I assigned everyone the same standard password and imported the information into PS. The students were able to log in with their unique user ID and standard password assigned. Once prompted, they were able to create a NEW password that only they will know. FYI, the student must use the standard password assigned as the CURRENT one before trying to create a new password. It worked! Now I have to figure out how to assigned log in for parents. I hope this helps someone else!

View solution in original post

20 Replies
thomas_amy
Achiever

I am having the same issue and also need help with it.  

I did find Article id:482569,which may be helpful.
Okay, I have also learned that you can change the student's password by manually typing in a password then give that the student to log in with for the 1st time.  Then it brings up a box for them to enter their own password after that.  Kind of a hassell for the office staff though!
MaryanneR
Hobbyist

Students 9th grade and up will have to change their password the first time they log in to PowerSchool.  No one else is able to access their password information.  This is for their security.  We have created a Custom Field with the password we assigned the student so that we can pass along the password to Clever and Google.  An added benefit is that when the student needs their password reset, we can reset it to what it was originally.

Hope this helps!

thomas_amy
Achiever

Good ideas MaryanneR, but our students have not been able to log in a first time, so they simply have no access at all.

snickson
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

After speaking with PowerSchool. I was given an answer. I reset all of the students' password to a standard one like TEST2023. The password must meet the requirements that is specified in your SIS. I exported all of the students onto an excel spreadsheet by student number and user ID that's in PowerSchool. I assigned everyone the same standard password and imported the information into PS. The students were able to log in with their unique user ID and standard password assigned. Once prompted, they were able to create a NEW password that only they will know. FYI, the student must use the standard password assigned as the CURRENT one before trying to create a new password. It worked! Now I have to figure out how to assigned log in for parents. I hope this helps someone else!

ttaddy12
Hobbyist

Can you please share how you imported the generic passwords into Powerschool? 

Thank you so much! 

snickson
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Please follow these steps:

1. Make sure every student has an assigned username.

2. Create an excel doc with the formatted fields in the headers of 

- student_number

- student_web_ID

- student_web_password

- Assign the same generic password for each student in the student web password column on your excel doc.

***Note that these headers are formatted according to field that the information is being pulled from in Powerschool. It's important to use the correct format.

3. Save this doc as a Text (tab delimited)

4. From the Start page in PowerSchool, go to

- Functions>>>Importing & Exporting>>>Quick Imports

- Select "Students" in your table

- Choose the file that you saved 

- Check the "Suggest Field Map" box

- Click "Import"

Powerschool will map the information from your spreadsheet and import it into the SIS. If the mapping is successful, the import should be as well. At this point, every student in your SIS should have a hidden password assigned to their username. When the student logs in for the first time, give them their assigned username and generic password that you created. The student will be prompted to create a new password. They should use the generic password as the "current password" to create a new one. I hope these detailed steps help!

ttaddy12
Hobbyist

Thank you so very much! You made this process so much easier! 

JodyK2
Hobbyist

I have attached a copy of the errors I am receiving when following your instructions for importing.  Am I missing a step on the bottom of the page in the table set up portion?

snickson
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

When selecting your generic/standard password for all students, make sure that it's a password/passcode that meets the requirement for your student login passwords. Otherwise, it won't import. You can find those requirements under District Office>>>Setup>>>System>>>Security>>>Password Rules Management>>>

JodyK2
Hobbyist

Thank you for this information.  We are having the same issue with our 5th grade and new students because this is their first time using Power School and they can't receive emails from an outside source with their school email.  

VERY INCONVENIENT for office staff to have to set passwords manually for all new students to Power School.  

ttaddy12
Hobbyist

I 100% agree with you on this- I have been working with staff and students on this. The workaround has been working fine but I have spent a lot of time on this. I just cannot believe Powerschool removed that field.

JodyK2
Hobbyist

Tara I was going to email you this morning seeing if you had the answer.....I was happy to find some help here.  

ttaddy12
Hobbyist

Yes! Call me if yo have questions! We are up and running! 

CindyM8
Expert

Not sure if I am misunderstanding your post but the student portal change pw rule only applies to grade 9 and above unless your district has opted to implement this change for grade levels below 9.

https://help.powerschool.com/t5/PowerSchool-SIS-Knowledge-Base/Student-Passwords-after-PowerSchool-S...

CM

ttaddy12
Hobbyist

Correct. Our district encourages students to check their grades starting at grade 5 so this has been a challenge.

JodyK2
Hobbyist

Our 5th through 12th grade use Power School to view their grades/assignments so everyone was wiped out.

Because our 5th grade is new to the system and any new students will all need to have the password redone manually.

They have tried the reset themselves but none of them ever receive an email.

CindyM8
Expert

The password change rule does not apply to grades levels under 9 unless your district decided to implement. If the student's are not receiving the password change email this article might help to troubleshoot the issue:

https://help.powerschool.com/t5/PowerSchool-SIS-Administrator/Student-Password-Forgot-Password-Email...

CM

MaryanneR
Hobbyist

I used Quick Import

Data and Reporting

Imports

Quick Import

The file that I imported was a text tab delimited file that had these fields in it filled with data

student_number

student_web_ID

student_web_password

ttaddy12
Hobbyist

Thank you so much! I will give this a try- what table did you select? 

MaryanneR
Hobbyist

The Student table