Problem updating existing student records via csv import.

jansell
Padawan

Problem updating existing student records via csv import.

Problem:  We need to bulk update our student numbers because they overlap other numbers in a different system that need to talk to each other...

When I export the following student fields:

ID

First_Name

Last_Name

Student_Number

All goes as planned...

Our old student numbers were in the 1000 block... 1001,1002 etc

I simply need to move them to the 21000 block.  So I simply added 210000 to each student number and produced the new number of 211001,211002, etc...  Then saved the csv file for import.

The problem is when I import the record using an import template (with Update existing records CHECKED) it creates new student in the system rather than updating the existing student!  I also noticed the the ID field that I was using as the index is the SAME for both the existing and the duplicated student!  I dug deeper and found a DCID which is unique for all students but not available on import, only export...

Hopefully this is enough information to send a solution.

1 Solution
ItsOnlyDoug
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

The problem you run into here is that in order to import data you need a student's Student_Number. That is the key in the import...So you wouldn't be able to just import a new student number bc your PS will read your import file as having all new students.

While it would be tricky and I'm not sure I'd be willing to try you could create a custom field and call it something like 'New_Student_Number' and import the data into that field. So your csv would have a Student_Number and New_Student_Number column. After that you might be able to move that data using the process outlined here in the Springel's Tips & Tricks portion of the video: https://help.powerschool.com/t5/Insider-Videos/PowerSchool-Insider-Episode-73-September-13-2019/ta-p...

I'd be hesitant to try it on more than 1 student at first bc you could do a lot of damage if your not careful...It's not the easiest solution but seems like it might work for what you need.

Again, if you have a test server try it there first.

Doug Skinner

District Instructional Data Officer
Gateway Regional School District

Did your issue get solved? Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ItsOnlyDoug
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

The problem you run into here is that in order to import data you need a student's Student_Number. That is the key in the import...So you wouldn't be able to just import a new student number bc your PS will read your import file as having all new students.

While it would be tricky and I'm not sure I'd be willing to try you could create a custom field and call it something like 'New_Student_Number' and import the data into that field. So your csv would have a Student_Number and New_Student_Number column. After that you might be able to move that data using the process outlined here in the Springel's Tips & Tricks portion of the video: https://help.powerschool.com/t5/Insider-Videos/PowerSchool-Insider-Episode-73-September-13-2019/ta-p...

I'd be hesitant to try it on more than 1 student at first bc you could do a lot of damage if your not careful...It's not the easiest solution but seems like it might work for what you need.

Again, if you have a test server try it there first.

Doug Skinner

District Instructional Data Officer
Gateway Regional School District

Did your issue get solved? Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution.

View solution in original post

jansell
Padawan

I was hoping to use the DCID field as the mapped index field for importing updates since the Student_Number field is not unique within the district.  Thanks for taking the time to detail this solution (work-around)!