PowerSchool Admin - Parent Portal Web Accounts Integration with Student Contacts

imcguern
Trainee

PowerSchool Admin - Parent Portal Web Accounts Integration with Student Contacts

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to address a recurring concern that some of us may have encountered when creating Parent Portal accounts as administrators. On three separate occasions, I have experienced instances where, upon establishing a Parent Portal account for a parent or adding students, the contact information either duplicates or fails to integrate seamlessly with the student's profile.

I am seeking insights or solutions to understand why this issue is occurring. It seems that either the contact duplicates or becomes disassociated from the student during the initial Parent Portal account setup.

If anyone has encountered similar challenges or possesses knowledge on the root cause of this issue, I would greatly appreciate your input. Resolving this matter is crucial to ensuring a smooth and error-free administration of Parent Portal accounts.

Thank you for your attention and assistance.

1 Reply
JyotishkaB
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @imcguern 

While importing student contacts, the system process can create students who have an "Original Contact Type" Contact and who also have a Contact by the same first name and last name that are not assigned an OCT. An example of this is if a parent created a public portal account and an existing Contact with the same name already exists for the Student.

You have the following options to choose from in order to make this association with the existing contacts and the parent 'Access Account' data:

1. You will need to manually create the 'Access Account' on behalf of the parent/guardian.

2. Allow the parents to create their 'Access Account'. This will create a duplicate account in PowerSchool and you will then need to use the Contact Consolidation tool to consolidate the two accounts to retain the data in the existing account with the account created with the 'Access Account' data. 

Jyotishka B.
Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!