Photo Management / Import Pictures

jdupuis

Photo Management / Import Pictures

When I go to System --> Photo Management --> Import Pictures and then follow the process for importing student photos, I receive the message: "440 failure(s) Failure Details Failed to find image in archive." The Map File is saved as a tab delimited txt file, and the Image Files are in a compressed zip, as suggested. Any advice as to how to mass import our school's photos?

20 Replies
HeatherWeist
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

@jdupuis   Is the map file using student numbers or names? If you have student names, then you have to import at the school level. 

Sometimes you have to try and reimport a few times. I have had the error appear and then go away after a few attempts.

Heather Weist, MEd
PowerSchool - SIS Administrator, Commonwealth Charter Academy

PowerSchool Mentor/Champion

PowerSchool Mentor of the Year 2021 Winner

PowerSchool Beta Tester of the Year 2022 Winner

Did your issue get solved? Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution. Thanks!

Mentors_badgeChampions_badge
brookekhudson
Recruit

I am having the same issue this morning no matter what I try. I have done the zip file and text file as suggested as well and am receiving the same error. @jdupuis did you ever get yours to work? Thanks!

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@brookekhudson @jdupuis  Another thing to check: Are the pictures in the Root directory of the Zip file and not in any sort of folder structure?

The first time there was still one extra folder layer so I removed that and tried again. Still failed. 

mblecha
Apprentice

I am having the same issue - my photos are at the top level of my zip file. I selected all images, then right-click and choose "compress". There are no interior folders. I've tried the mapping file as a .csv, .text, .tsv... I continue to get errors "Failed to find image in archive". 

I've spent two days looking through forums and help articles to no avail. Someone, send help!

KritiS
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @mblecha

One of the possible reasons why you are receiving these errors is that there might be a difference in the file name and the name of the file in the mapping file. You would need to check that the file name and name of the file in the mapping file should be the same.

You would need to split the files that are throwing an error of import into a separate import file and that will let you troubleshoot the ones that are causing the issue.

Please let us know if this helps or in case of any further queries.

KritiS
Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If a suggestion helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the solution, too!
mblecha
Apprentice

Everything in both files is identical - file names, people - to the letter. I don't know which files are throwing errors because I receive "0 student photos imported. 0 failure(s)." every time. I'm uploading the mapping file as a .csv - I can't find that file type requirement anywhere. Does that work?

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@mblecha  The mapping file must be a tab-delimited text (txt) file. The file must also have the same letter case as the photo file. For example, if photo extensions are uppercase (12345.JPG) the mapping file must also reference uppercase photo extensions (12345.JPG).

I'm attaching replicas of what my files look like. I wouldn't want to share actual student names and images. PLEASE, will someone take a quick look and tell me what is wrong? I still get no uploads and no failures.Mapping File Image File 

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@mblecha 

-Photos must be in .jpg or .jpeg format

-Your mapping file is incorrect. For examle:

Example student mapping file using student number:

Student_Number   Photo

12345                     1.jpg         

54321                     2.jpg

25631                     3.jpg

54785                     4.jpg

-Your image file does not have the images in the root directory of the Zip. When you open the Zip file, you should see the photos, not a folder directory. See screenshot.

could you provide a correct example of this? 

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@visj Look at the screenshot attached in my response directly above.

Community Support Expert

Hi @brookekhudson @joshfreeman

You should be able to fix this error by moving the image file to the top level of the archive and then try performing the import again. We recommend reviewing this article photo-management to guide you with the steps to Import Pictures.

KritiS
Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If a suggestion helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the solution, too!
kooime
Hobbyist

How do you actually move the image file to the top level of the archive? What are the steps to be able to do that?

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@kooime  You must Zip the image files properly. When you create the Zip file with the photos, the pictures should be in the root directory of the Zip file, not in a folder. If you are using a PC, select all the photos, right-click and choose Send to...Compressed Folder.

Thank you! That worked

phillipclimer
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

This is what fixed it for me. Thank you. Select all of the pictures inside the extracted zip folder and with all of the picture files selected click to send to “compressed folder” to create a new zip folder you will use as your import folder in photo management.

reynoldsn
Professional

Hi @brookekhudson  @joshfreeman 

Our school photographer sends us the image file names that include the student number.jpg so I export the student numbers and use those as the txt file to do the import.  Then, after selecting the photos I immediately click the 2nd mouse button and select "send to" then "compressed zipped folder".

Ordering the student numbers and the images from smallest to largest helps when doing multiple imports.

Always, click the new 'zipped' folder before the import.  If you see the images, it is correct.  If you see another folder, then the upload will not work.

I hope this helps!  Take care.

alvaradob
Padawan

his works for me..

In your folder where you have the photos ready with ext jpg select them all and compress them to create a zip folder that should be inside the folder where your photos are. This zip file is the one you should map. I leave some images I hope they help. On the other hand, create your txt file with the 2 columns according to the instructions described here.

1.png

adminmorin
Rookie

One thing to always remember. Image file name with powerschool are CASE SENSATIVE.  so smithb.jpg is not the same as Smithb.jpg. In the windows world there really is no difference. They would be treated as the same file. So in your tab delimited file make sure you pay attention to the case in image file names.