New to PowerSchool

brownsuzanne
Padawan

New to PowerSchool

I have all of my students in powerschool but not all of their information, so I have the emergency cards that parents filled out at the beginning of the year and I am trying to input all of their information.  My question is do I really need to go to most of the items to the left of the page and keep entering the same information over and over again.

And my 2nd question is why in the contact tab do I have duplicate and triple contact of the same person?  Is it because I enter the same information over and over again or is it because the other schools have siblings and they are entering the same information?

6 Replies
Community Moderator jamiem7
Community Moderator

Re: New to PowerSchool

Thank you for participating in the PowerSchool Community!

We will be happy to look into the possibilities of contacts showing multiple times with you.  Would you please provide the name of the PowerSchool product in which you see multiple accounts for the same contact?  Are you working in PowerSchool Student Information Systems or Unified Classroom?

Jamie H.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
brownsuzanne
Padawan

I am working in PowerSchool Student Information Systems

Community Moderator jamiem7
Community Moderator

Thank you for providing this information!

When a contact record is created that is associated with multiple students, the student accounts should be attached to the one contact record.  Will you confirm if you are creating one contact and attaching multiple student accounts or if you are creating multiple contact records for a single contact to associated with each student account?

Jamie H.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

To the first part of your question, the number of times you have to enter info depends on your situation. We use SwiftK12 for messaging, but it cannot read the Contacts table so we have to enter Mother and Father even though they may be in Contacts. You need to get with your SIS admin to determine what info is necessary and where.

To the second part of your question, some people are entered with multiple functions. One will be a mother for one child and emergency contact for another, for example. That can lead to two separate Contact records being created. There is a consolidation process but it is not trivial and can have unintended consequences. We have done some consolidation but not all.

Good luck.

Socorro Consolidated Schools
Socorro, NM
Hosted SIS, Special Programs, Unified Classroom, Unified Talent

brownsuzanne
Padawan

Thank you! you helped so much and made things clearer for me:)

Community Support Expert AbrittyB
Community Support Expert

Hello! @brownsuzanne, thank you so much for posting on PowerSchool Community!

@JeffreyT, thank you so much, we appreciate your help!

Please keep participating on Community.