Need API expert help - pulling the name/title of assignments that are not in Schoology

ckunsman
Journeyman

Need API expert help - pulling the name/title of assignments that are not in Schoology

Hi,

I cannot figure out how to access/get the titles of assignments under grades that are not in Schoology. The titles do appear in the grades list on the website as you can see in the screenshot. But when I pull grades in the API I only get assignment_id numbers which don't match up with anything anywhere. I need to see the titles of the assignments just like you see in the screenshot but I cannot seem to figure out how to access this via API. For example, I can access the titles of those items you see in vlue because they are in Schoology and have their own assignments entry for the assignment_id but the ones in black do not. 

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 2.20.35 PM.png

4 Replies
willbill
Journeyman

Go to Github, and search up Schoology Stats Viewer. Maybe the code will help you figure out this problem. The stat viewer shows assignments external from Schoology.

ckunsman
Journeyman

There are zero hits anywhere for the phrase "Schoology Stats Viewer" - is it possible it's called something else?

willbill
Journeyman

I forgot what it was called, all I know was that I used it to calculate "what if" grades and to display graphs. It was coded in javascript I think, if that helps. Are you trying to code the same thing or what?

ckunsman
Journeyman

Not quite as fancy, no. I'm a parent who is trying to build out something that alerts me whenever a new grade is posted (among other updates on the site) and as far as I can tell, Schoology has no built-in alert/notification options for this sort of thing so I wanted to built it out myself with python. So I originally looked into web scraping but then realized the API was accessible so I started playing with that. Then I realized I could not pull the 'title' of assignments that were not created within schoology. So here I am.