Master Schedule - 1st time user

aoliger
Rookie

Master Schedule - 1st time user

Ok so I am brand new to PS. I've had no training and have to try and figure this out by myself.  Here are my issues:

1. I hand build my master schedule - I have 0 idea how to enter it in PS.

2. I can't follow the PowerScheduler Load information because it talks about copying a master schedule from the previous year and I don't have a previous year.  

3. I believe I can go in to each teacher and under schedule add a new section - if one teacher teaches English 12 periods 1 and 5 do I create a different section for each period? Or do I just checkmark both periods 1 and 5 and then what do I use for sections? Does it matter?

Can anyone direct me to instructions that might help me?  I have researched and am getting nowhere and I'm so confused.

Thanks

Amy

4 Replies
JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Hi @aoliger,

1) To manually create sections in PowerScheduler, go to Courses>Click on Course>Sections Tab>New.

2) If you are not copying a Master Schedule from lat year, ignore that step.

3) See #1. Sections are created under Courses, not teachers. You will assign the teacher to the Section you are creating. Yes, if a teacher teaches English 12 Period 1 and 5, you would create 2 sections of English 12. One for Period 1 and one for Period 5 (periods are called Expressions in PowerSchool).

PowerSchool Mentor

To add to what @JeffG9 said, if you are starting from scratch and you are comfortable with spreadsheets, you could use the PowerScheduler Import Template to import the sections/assignments all at once.

PowerScheduler Import Template 

Doug Skinner

District Instructional Data Officer
Gateway Regional School District

Did your issue get solved? Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution.

SharonS1
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

You may be brand new to PowerSchool but is PowerSchool brand new as well? Has any schedule ever existed in your system?

The first thing I would ask if this is all brand new what are your intentions:

And what grade levels do you have in your school?

By using PowerScheduler to build a schedule you will need to set up many different parameters .

Since you stated that you "hand build" your master then you can use import templates to import the entire schedule into either Power Scheduler which would then allow you to add requests to students and have the system place them in classes.

Or you can set up next year in PowerSchool and import the completed schedule and choose groups of students to enroll in classes.

Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most...
ItsOnlyDoug
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

Doug Skinner

District Instructional Data Officer
Gateway Regional School District

Did your issue get solved? Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution.