I disagree. PowerSchool announcing the closure of Schoology Basic.

emora
Journeyman

I disagree. PowerSchool announcing the closure of Schoology Basic.

Dear PowerSchool Consortium,

I hope this letter finds you well. As a physics teacher and user of Schoology Basic, I am writing to you with concern and discontent regarding the recent acquisition of Schoology by PowerSchool and the notification of the closure of Schoology Basic. The acquisition of Schoology by PowerSchool raises questions about the company's approach to the education of the less privileged. It seems that the concern for the education of the less fortunate has been sidelined or, worse, that it is of no importance at all. Other free platforms are mentioned as alternatives, but this raises doubts about their effectiveness and genuine commitment to inclusive education. As a teacher, I am deeply concerned that education is becoming an instrument to perpetuate social and economic inequality. I have heard much about neoliberalism, and I always thought it was mere words associated with specific political currents. However, now I see that it is a tangible and frightening reality. I am concerned that education will become a mechanism to turn the poor into disposable workers and that Latin America will become a devalued version of China, where large corporations benefit at the expense of workers. I would like to see a different future, where education is a tool for empowerment and social mobility. However, it is challenging for me to maintain faith in this vision when greed and profit seem to prevail over human values, and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) become nothing more than a fantasy. I sincerely hope that the importance of equitable education is taken into consideration, and genuine efforts are made to ensure that educational platforms are available and accessible to all, regardless of their socioeconomic status. Education is a fundamental human right and should be treated as such. Yours sincerely,

Physics teacher's Elpidio Mora

public school in Panama

Panama, Rep of Panama.

6 Replies
KritiS
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @emora 

After much consideration, we made the decision to end Schoology Basic to focus our energy on building innovative features and user experiences within Schoology Learning, our enterprise-level solution.

If you have questions about this notification that are not answered in our FAQs (link below), please email schoology-basic-customer-inquiries@powerschool.com.

Please note, we are only taking questions from Teachers with Schoology Basic accounts.
·         If you are an Enterprise user, please reach out to our support team directly.
·         If you are a parent or student, please reach out to your teacher/course administrator.

Please expect a response time of around 10 business days to your form submission. Should the inquiry be incomplete, the team will not be able to respond to the request.

Link to the FAQs: https://www.powerschool.com/faq-schoology-basic/

KritiS
Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If a suggestion helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the solution, too!
Dr_Phil_Pulley
Veteran

Save your materials to your resources in organized containers then export them.

Canvas by Instructure still allows free accounts and you can re-create courses there. It will take time but it beats starting over. You can copy entire pages and paste them into pages in Canvas.

Sid
Journeyman

Hi,

Is the Canvas platform as user friendly as Schoology, in your opinion? Of course, I will have to take a look at it myself, but first I will need to get on with the massive task of archiving and downloading all my files and content from over a dozen years of using Schoology. I am pretty upset that it's all ending, unless my district coughs up money for Enterprise versions ... sigh....

Dr_Phil_Pulley
Veteran

It's good, just like anything else, different. Last year is my last K-12 before I retire and all the colleges that have put out feelers to see if I will teach a class for them are using Canvas.

Dr_Phil_Pulley
Veteran

Instructor and student views. You can createScreenshot 2024-01-18 at 11.21.08 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-01-18 at 11.33.43 AM.png pages and then set a page as the course landing page. I'm putting pages and assignments into modules. This is a grad. class home page for the start of class. As we move to the first module (with lessons and challenges) the landing page will be switched to it.

Sid
Journeyman

Hear hear!