Grade calculation formula type - Total points with categories?

fle1234
Journeyman

Grade calculation formula type - Total points with categories?

Hi,

I'm just wondering if it's possible to set up grade calculations as Total Points, but still maintain a category association.

To clarify, we bin marks into four categories (Knowledge, Application, Communication, Thinking), and they have different weightings.  This has the potential of weighing some marks heavier than others - we have to be very careful how they are assigned so that the weight of a given mark in a given category is the same as another.

Using Total Points would keep the mark impact balanced, but in the program it looks like the category labels are lost when that option is selected.  Is there a way to calculate marks with Total Points but still know which category those marks came from?  Category weightings wouldn't need to be calculated.

Many thanks

6 Replies
JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@fle1234 

If you are asking about PT Pro you can ABSOLUTELY calculate grades using Total Points and still use Categories for assignments.

But since you say "Using Total Points would keep the mark impact balanced, but in the program it looks like the category labels are lost when that option is selected" I suspect you are not asking about PT Pro.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for replying - I am working with PT Pro, when I go to set up the overall class grade I'm given separate Types, I currently use Category Weighting.  When I switch it to Total Points, there is no option for labelling the different categories.

My goal is to just add up the marks and keep category labels rather than assign a weighting to the type of category.

At this point I'm going to wait until September to try this with my new classes - I don't want to accidently mess up my current marks, and I don't have access to make a sample class.

Thanks!

Adam

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@fle1234 

Hi Adam,

If you are grading using Total Points, the assignments get categories. See the attached screenshots for reference. Are you saying when you set your weighting to Total Points, you can no longer place assignments in Categories?

I think I see the confusion - I'm already doing what you're talking about, but with different categories.  The marks for our in class evaluations (tests, quizzes, assignments) have to be broken up into up to four categories: Knowledge, Application, Communication, and Thinking (see attached screenshots).  This means inputting up to 4 entries for a single evaluation.

I'm looking to have one entry that adds up the marks, but still records the categories (even if in the background) so that they still leave a paper trail.  I was able to do this with a different app, but my board has switched to PS, and it doesn't look like it's possible.

The system has also been kept fairly restricted for teacher use, so I'm wary of doing anything that could impact my current marks.  That's why I'm going to wait until September and play around with the options when I'm setting up for my new classes.

Thanks again!

Adam

Screenshot1.pngScreenshot2.png

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@fle1234 

Ah!

If you need "sub-categories" attached to each assignment, your school may want to look into Traditional and Standards-based grading.

In PT Pro, you can attach Standards to Traditional assignments and use the traditional assignment grade to generate the Standards grade. In the attached screenshots, imagine the Standards I attached are Knowledge, App, Comm, and Thinking.

This way, you can grade a test and then how the 4 "sub-grades" directly attached to it.

We can put Expectations with each Assignment, but those are pre-defined learning skills.  I think my board has locked down the ability to add our own sub-categories.  

Short of setting something up in excel or buying a license for the grade software we used to use, I think this is about it.

Thanks for all your help!

Adam