Converting standards based grades to a course letter grade

westto
Journeyman

Converting standards based grades to a course letter grade

We are implementing some standards based grading at our high school. I need to figure out how to convert the standards grades for a course into a letter grade for each reporting term. I know the scale I want to use once the standards are averaged but I can not figure out how to set this up to get a letter grade for Q1, Q2, etc. I feel like it shouldn't be that difficult. Does anyone have advice for me? Thank you!

1 Solution
ParitoshT
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @westto,

Thank you for posting your question in the Community. You will want to convert your standard grades into a final grade. I recommend reviewing this article on Grade Calculation types for more information on Standards Weighting option in the Traditional Grade Calculations.

ParitoshT

Community Moderator 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ParitoshT
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @westto,

Thank you for posting your question in the Community. You will want to convert your standard grades into a final grade. I recommend reviewing this article on Grade Calculation types for more information on Standards Weighting option in the Traditional Grade Calculations.

ParitoshT

Community Moderator 

Jodonm23
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Good Afternoon,

I am Mike J. I saw your post and I saw you changed your post set to solved. I currently am trying to figure out this answer my self. So we use Standard based grading for our scholar year. We have 5 quints and than an overall grade that lives in Y1. In each of our quints we have a numerical grade 0-4 but I want to place an letter grade in Y1 for all scholars for every class. I went to the article that some one posted to your comment but it didn't seem that helpful for me.

Are there any tips or hints you can give me so I can convert my final grades that I have so I can store them into Y1 as a letter grade? I already have my scales that say what each standard grade is equivalent to each letter grade.

westto
Journeyman

I'd by happy to connect outside of Community and tell you how we are doing it. May or may not work for you. We are still new and fumbling our way a little bit but I think I know what we need to do for 22-23 school year.

Jodonm23
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Yes that would be perfect. Any extra insight would be great. 

japostol3
Rookie

Would you share with me how  you fixed this transition from SB to traditional? I'd like to figure out a way to do it as well and have looked at the PS Admin Manual and am coming up short.

ParitoshT
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @japostol3,

Good Day! If you are looking to convert your standard grades into a final grade. I recommend reviewing this article on Grade Calculation types for more information on the Standards Weighting option in Traditional Grade Calculations. 

Additionally, you can review the following articles

FAQ: Standards

How-To: Setup Traditional Final Grade Entry for PowerSchool Teacher

Note: You would want to work with the technical contacts in your school district to review the information in the above articles.

Meanwhile, we hope that other community members jump in and share their insights on this.

Please let me know if this helps or in case of further concerns.

ParitoshT

Community Moderator

Kudos encourage participation

westto
Journeyman

I have some grade scales that I use to make this transition. If you send me an email at westto@delawarecityschools.net

we can connect that way and I'll share what I've done.