Can students see the courses that teachers recommend them for?

DavidM34
Novice

Can students see the courses that teachers recommend them for?

We are planning on using the course recommendation features this year.  The one question we have is whether or not students are able to see the courses that they are recommended for within the parent portal?  I understand that we can see them from Powerschool Admin and that they are included in the course selection process but can students/parents see these recommendations at all?

3 Replies
Community Moderator jamiem7
Community Moderator

Re: Can students see the courses that teachers recommend them for?

This is a great question! 

Students should be able to view the courses that are recommended in the parent portal.  A preview of the student's view can be accessed in PowerScheduler.  Please follow the steps below to preview the student's view.

1. Navigate to PowerScheduler
  2. Requesting Setup
  3. Select the student's grade level such as Grade 7
  4. Request Screen Setup for 2019-2020
  5. Preview Student Registration Screen
Jamie M.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
DavidM34
Novice

When I go to the preview I see the course groups for that grade and the pre-requisites for those courses (see attachment). However, where would the student's recommendations appear? When I do the preview its not for a particular student so would it only appear if I setup recommendations for a particular student and then log in as them? Would it appear next to the course(s) that it applies to?
Community Moderator jamiem7
Community Moderator

Once a recommendation is made, it appears on the student’s Class Registration page in the PowerSchool Student and Parent portal.

In PowerScheduler > Screen Setup > (select screen), the following option would need to be enabled in order for students/parents to see the Teacher Recommendations:

Enable student registration screen for this grade in:

- PowerSchool Student and Parent Portal

This would allow the students to see AND request the courses - based on the Screen Setup.

In the student/parent portal:
1. Click Class Registration.
2. Click the pencil icon next to the requirement.
3. Scroll to view the available courses.

=> The recommended courses would contain "Recommended" and a road icon under Alerts.
We don't have a direct method to allow the students to see teacher recommendations without selecting the course requests. However, see case comments/email for possible indirect method.

Jamie M.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!