Alphabetizing Students with Multiple Last Names

Highlighted
Journeyman

Alphabetizing Students with Multiple Last Names

Hello!  A large majority of the enrollment at my school are students with multiple last names.  The entire world alphabetizes multiple last names like this:

Smith

Smith Jones

Smith-Walker

Smith Walker

But Powerschool alphabetizes like this:

Smith Jones

Smith Walker

Smith-Walker

Smith

Consequently, whenever I have to pull Powerschool data and merge it with other data pulls from other platforms, I must spend an inordinate amount of time rearranging names before I can work with the data.  What's up with that????? Can't this be changed????

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Re: Alphabetizing Students with Multiple Last Names

Hi! @twright2,

To troubleshoot and assist you further in alphabetizing students with multiple last names, would you please provide us more information on how you are pulling the data?  Example- Quick Export, Export Template, List Students, APEX, SQL, etc.

Muskan Sehar

PowerSchool Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If a suggestion solves your issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the solution, too!
Community Moderator
Highlighted
Journeyman

To answer your question, this happens regardless of how the information is pulled.  If I select all students in one alpha, they are listed this way.  Quick export, grade level, etc.  

Highlighted
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi! @twright2,

To sort the students with multiple last names in alphabetical order, please follow these steps listed below.

1. Log in to PowerTeacher Pro.
  2. Select a class.
  3. Click on Reports in the left navigation bar.
  4. Click on the Student Roster Report.
  5. Select the sort option as the Last Name on the criteria tab.
  6. Click Run report.
  7. Open the " Student Roster Report".

Once these steps are completed, you should be able to sort the students with multiple last names in alphabetical order.

Muskan Sehar

PowerSchool Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If a suggestion solves your issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the solution, too!
Community Moderator
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the suggestion but I use Powerschool not Powerteacher (I should have mentioned that!) and I tried this method with a teacher using Powerteacher Pro and the alphabetization still listed the single last names AFTER the double last names.

Highlighted
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @twright2,

PowerSchool SIS product Development Team is aware of the issue regarding students' names with multiple last names being sorted differently than the followed convention.  A workaround would be to export the list into Excel and then sort them using Excel's sort functionality.

Bishal G.
PowerSchool Community Support Expert
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If a suggestion helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the solution, too!