First time creating an app for the Schoology App Center? Here's where to start.

gallbaugh
Hobbyist

First time creating an app for the Schoology App Center? Here's where to start.

Congratulations!  You've taken the first step in being part of the Schoology App Center by signing up for a Developer's Account (i.e. 'sandbox').  What now?  Here's where to start if it is your first time creating an app for the Schoology App Center:  

Apps Platform | Schoology Developers

Once you are logged in to your Schoology account, you can enroll in our onboarding self-guided course:

From your Schoology home page select: 

Courses > My Courses > Join Course.  

Enter the course access code: J3KJ-HD7D-4JJ9Q

If you'd like to get started right away, have a look at this LTI 1.3 integration documentation here:  

https://developers.schoology.com/app-platform/lti-apps#toc-item-0 

5 Replies
mbezaire
Practitioner

Thanks for this. As a teacher who wants to develop an app for my department, what should I put for Company when signing up for a developer account?

I originally tried putting in a placeholder value for Company and my first developer account request was denied.

Community Member
Not applicable

Instead of creating a separate account, you should contact your Schoology administrator at your district and request permission to Develop apps. You will also likely need permission to Create New API Keys. When submitting your app for use at your school, please select Only people in my school to avoid the approval process for use beyond your school.

mbezaire
Practitioner

Hi canyma, thank you for this info.

My district said they cannot give me this permission as a teacher, because they would have to make me an Admin and that would give me permission to all the data in Schoology.

So now I am wondering, what do independent companies do who develop apps for Schoology - is there a playground environment with fake data that they are granted access to? How "official" would I need to be to register for access as an independent developer, not linked to my district? I wasn't planning to start my own actual business, at least not at this point in my life, but is that the direction I would need to take to develop an app without my district having to grant me access to all their data? 

Thank you!

Community Member
Not applicable

Hello mbezaire,

There are specific permissions for Develop apps, Access to app center, and Create New API Keys that can be set by Role. (Permissions view attached). It may be that your administrators do not want to grant those to all Teachers or make you a System Admin role, but they can create a new Role or clone your existing one and add permissions for App developers. (Roles view attached).

If your intent is to just make apps that are distributed within your district, I think that is the best approach. If you were to create a separate sandbox account for creating an app, you would also have to get it approved in the App Center so that your district can access it.

I hope this helps you with your sys admin team!

mbezaire
Practitioner

Thank you, these details are helpful. If they clone my teacher role and add those 3 additional permissions, will that change the data I have access to? They are concerned that it may grant me access to additional data.