What is the easiest way to promote students to the next grade

Annacls21
Trainee

What is the easiest way to promote students to the next grade

Hello,

I am wondering what the best way to promote our students to the next grade would be.. I have already created the next year.

I am also wondering if I should promote students and THEN enroll our new students in so they stay in the grade I entered them in as?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Anna Hackel

The Campus Laboratory School

6 Replies
JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@Annacls21The End-of-Year Process is specifically designed to do just that-promote students. See attached.

PowerSchool Mentor

To promote students to the next year grade and school you must update two things in PowerSchool.

Select a grade level of students and use Student Field Value change to change the sched_nextyeargrade to whatever grade the should be promoted to.

Then go to the Next School indicator and make sure that the students are associated with the school they will be in for next year.

Students in elementary going to Middle School will need the Middle School as their next school.

After you have completed this you need to go to District Office>System>End of Year Process and run the End of Year Validation reports. (before you do that make sure the information is correct for how you want the system to handle students. If you have a HS and will graduate students they need to have a sched_nextyeargrade of 99 and a next_school of graduated school.)

Run the validation second drop down that makes any students with issues your current selection. Correct any issues and then come back to this page and from the DropDown choose the third item to complete the End of Year Process and promote students.

Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most...
Anzley_2022
Journeyman

after we moved the student up to the next grade level the promote code(pr) is not showing, what do we need to do to fix this pr.

SharonS1
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

Check the settings in the End of Year Process screen to make sure that codes are set for students being rolled over to the next grade. If pr is the code then that should be in there at the end of the year for the line that says Promoted.

If this is already completed you can do a search for the students who were enrolled last year and who were promoted and you can use the student field value change to update the entrycode for this year.

You can do this with a list of students who were promoted as well, and search for them with Multi-select.

This is PS there are always different ways to get things done.

Anzley_2022
Journeyman

I tried that and it changed this year entrycode to pr and I need to get last year exit code to pr for the student that was promoted. I was not here at the end of the school and i have no idea what happen when the EOY was run. Can you help me.  I am just worried that it might miss you the school year information.   Thanks

SharonS1
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

The student exit codes for last year are on the reenrollments table. DM me so I can explain where to look for the codes.