Setting up Years & Terms for a J-Term?

awojahn85
Hobbyist

Setting up Years & Terms for a J-Term?

Hello,

I may be over thinking it or thinking down the wrong rabbit hole, but I am struggling in confidently setting up a J-Term for next year. Here is what I have been tasked to create:

• Semester 1: normal classes up to winter break
  • J-Term: first two weeks back, special classes that do not factor into anything GPA wise, just are Pass-Fail
  • Semester 2: normal classes again until summer

How do I set this up properly to do right by my year-long courses? They would not be participating in J-term. We would be storing the grades for J-term on their own. Normal classes would be stored for Semester 1 and 2. I wonder about the year-long since it lists Semester 1 and 2 for those in the Traditional Grade Calculations,  and we store a Year grade for those classes which goes 50-50 on Semester 1 & 2. I would assume the year-long courses would list the J-term, and everyone would need to "not screw up" the year-long setup.

Is it as simple as not overlapping the dates, and setting them as 1/3 and giving everyone careful instruction when it comes to grading? We are only at Years & Terms and setting up Scheduler and I am already quite nervous about this special term since it doesn't include the regular courses.

The other struggle is that I don't see clearly how to show just the J-Term schedule at that time. Every once in a while it waivers into my vision and is fine because the dates do not overlap. 

1 Solution
JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@awojahn85 When you store grades, you can use the Classes by Term Length area to indicate what classes you are storing for. In the attached screenshot, I am storing Y1 grades ONLY for classes that have a Term Length of Semester 1. You can do the same thing when storing J-Term grades.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ItsOnlyDoug
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

You would create the J Term in Years and Terms and then as long as they are not a part of the final grade setups for your year long terms you would be fine. We have cycle classes that only run during 1/4 of the year. When it comes to storing the grades you would be able to store just for those J-Term classes and when you store for the year long classes it wouldn't over lap. 

Just make sure your final grade setups are organized and include the terms you want available to store.

Doug Skinner

District Instructional Data Officer
Gateway Regional School District

Did your issue get solved? Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution.

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@awojahn85   As @ItsOnlyDoug said, you would do this via Years & Terms and Final Grade/Reporting Term Setup. Just be sure to pay attention to the Classes by Term Length area of the store grades screen next year when storing grades. See attached.

Thank you, this has done much to assuage my worries. I wonder, will I need to store the grades for the J-Term courses individually in order to not store a grade for all of the year-long courses?

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@awojahn85 When you store grades, you can use the Classes by Term Length area to indicate what classes you are storing for. In the attached screenshot, I am storing Y1 grades ONLY for classes that have a Term Length of Semester 1. You can do the same thing when storing J-Term grades.

Thank you! I'm not sure why the first time through my brain was not on board, but once I started to think through our (strange) storing of the grades, it made sense.

awojahn85
Hobbyist

I am interested to learn more about how they do not overlap. Thank you!