Schoology Basic Support

Robby-K
Hobbyist

Schoology Basic Support

Hello,

I'm an education coordinator for a medical laboratory science program at a hospital in Kansas City.  We've been using Schoology (Basic) over the past few years to facilitate our program's instruction and assessment.  As we are not a K-12 institution, we have been unable to transition to the Enterprise version, and I was recently told that by a Powerschool sales rep via chat that support for the Basic version "has been phased out" at this time.  I asked what that means in our case since we still rely on Schoology Basic so heavily.  She was unsure and suggested that I reach out to someone in support for clarification, so here I am.

Essentially, my question is this: what will happen to Schoology Basic users going forward?  We have new cohorts of students every 6 months, so we need to know if we can rely on this platform (albeit without robust support), or if we'll need to begin searching for other solutions.

Thanks you for your time and attention.

1 Solution
NinaRi
Veteran

Hello @Robby-K,

Thank you for your response.  Currently, there is no information on if Schoology Basic will completely be discountinued. However, new instructors are not able to create Schoology Basic accounts.

In this case, we suggest reviewing the Schoology Product Roadmap to get notifications and updates on any changes.

Nina R.
Did your issue get solved? Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
NinaRi
Veteran

Hello @Robby-K,

Thank you for reaching out in the PowerSchool Community.  Currently, Schoology Basic is no longer available for instructors who are attempting to create new Basic accounts.  If you have Schoology, you should be able to access your Basic accounts. However, some features were removed in 2021 to prepare for the busy back to school season.  

This article provides more information on this decision, including which features are no longer available.  Please let us know if you have any more questions.  Thank you!

Nina R.
Did your issue get solved? Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution.
Robby-K
Hobbyist

Thank you Nina!  This is helpful information.

At this point, are there any plans to discontinue Schoology Basic for current users at some point, or simply to prevent new instructors from signing up?  Schoology Basic is still useful to our program (despite the loss of certain features), so we'd like to continue using it as long as it's a viable option.

Thanks again for your attention!

NinaRi
Veteran

Hello @Robby-K,

Thank you for your response.  Currently, there is no information on if Schoology Basic will completely be discountinued. However, new instructors are not able to create Schoology Basic accounts.

In this case, we suggest reviewing the Schoology Product Roadmap to get notifications and updates on any changes.

Nina R.
Robby-K
Hobbyist

Thanks for your response, Nina!  I appreciate your answers and the resources you've provided.  This information will help us make informed decisions for Schoology use in our program going forward.

mrajab
Journeyman

We are soon set to begin Sep. 2022.

I am reading conflicting information on Schoology Basic use.

Can you confirm whether or not Schoology Basic is being discontinued after Sep. 30th, 2022??

Thank you.

Reshma
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @mrajab,

Currently, we do not have a date to share that the basic Schoology accounts will no longer be supported within the site.  If that decision is ever made we will communicate this to you through PowerSchool Community.

Reshma
PowerSchool Community Support Expert

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
mrajab
Journeyman

Thanks for the information.  It is clear that there is no longer "support" except through this community.

I am strongly suggesting that PowerSchool consider there are a number of individual users who would like to continue to use Schoology Basic and/or Instructors that would want the Basic option.  Offering limited support I understand but if a loss of revenue or resources is the reason for this then PowerSchool should consider a BASIC option with a reasonable/affordable fee for 

Dr_Phil_Pulley
Veteran

That would be nice. I had a Basic account before my school adopted it but I retire after next year and all my resources will be lost. Yes, I can export them but that is a tedious folder-by-folder process.

Dr_Phil_Pulley
Veteran

A problem might be that as you create new cohorts, the members will be unable to create a free account to join. Unless you just create accounts for them? Canvas does still offer free accounts. You could export your materials from resources and import them into that platform.