PowerScheduler - Course Section identifier

cmucciSB
Journeyman

PowerScheduler - Course Section identifier

This morning, I noticed a display discrepancy in PowerScheduler -> Course -> Section. 

We are new to PowerSchool this year and we are gearing up to schedule for 22-23 using PowerScheduler. Today, I noticed that the Expression display for sections under the courses varies by screen. I've attached two screen shots showing what I see. 

I feel this is a bug that must be addressed. It will be very very difficult to manage the expressions properly.  I can explain in greater detail, but we currently have 25 blocks for our two middle schools (they are listed below).  

This is the display on PowerScheduler -> Courses -> 2nd screen -- From screen 1, click the section hyperlink and you are brought to this section details screen: 

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 10.11.42 AM.png

This is the display on PowerScheduler -> Courses -> 1st screen
Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.42.50 AM.png

Our expressions are BLOCKS as defined in PS Periods as:
ADV
6B1 to 6B8 - Grade 6
7B1 to 7B8 - Grade 7
8B1 to 8B8 - Grade 8

No where are they numbered 1-25 except for now on this first screen in PowerScheduler -> courses.

8(3) represents 6B7(3) - Grade 6, Block 7, Cycle Day 3.  8(3) will be very confusing for the counselors.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to properly display the Block/Period NAME rather than sequence number?

6 Replies
KritiS
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @cmucciSB

The feature to make changes to the way expression displays on the courses screen is currently not built in PowerSchool SIS. However, this would be a great Enhancement Request.

You can also log this as an Enhancement Request on PowerSchool Ideas Portal so that the product team can take a look at this. This article should walk you through how to raise an Enhancement Request.

You can also reach out to your Account Owner who may also discuss our Customization option where PowerSchool can build this feature for you.

KritiS
Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If a suggestion helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the solution, too!
cmucciSB
Journeyman

Thank you so much KritiS for your suggestion. I'll take a look at how to do just that.

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@cmucciSB  Take a look at Scheduling Setup>Periods>Abbreviation. See the attached screenshots.

Hi JeffG9 - I did set the period abbreviations to 6B1 to 8B8. It looks like when we uploaded the section data from our prior SIS the abbreviation was imported successfully. However, when creating new sections in PowerScheduler the abbreviations are not captured properly, only the period series number (what I call it). Thank you for your suggestions. 

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Hi @cmucciSB  I cannot replicate that behavior on my test server. If you are able to, try turning off Customization and see if that persists.

Thank you so much for the information!