Do you lock midterm after term?

ginorusso
Hobbyist

Do you lock midterm after term?

We are having an issue with PowerTeacher Pro and trying to find the solution.    All of our PowerTeacher Pro assignments from midterm (M1) are locked.   So teachers cannot change or enter grades.   For example if a student has a zero on Assignment 1, from September, and then hands it in the teacher is not able to update it because we have locked the M1 Term.

I am thinking the locking is the mistake, but not sure.   We locked it because we dont want to change data that was on the midterm report card, BUT I dont think its possible anyways since that data gets transferred using System - Grading - Permanently Store Grades.

So, do other school boards lock midterms after the term, or do they keep them open until the complete course ends.

3 Replies
ParitoshT
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @ginorusso,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

You can lock your reporting term so that teachers can't update the grades. Additionally, if the report pulls from the stored grades, as long as the grades are not restored they will not change.

Please let me know if this helps or in case of further questions.

ParitoshT

Community Moderator 

Kudos encourage participation

ginorusso
Hobbyist

So after midterm, kids still hand assignments in.   We want the grades to be open and unlocked.  However we do not want to mess with data (e.g. have a false midterm over written).   Should we in this situation NOT lock the term?

KritiS
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @ginorusso

If the terms are locked then teachers cannot make changes. So it would be depend on you if you want the teacher to be able to make changes to the previous term grades or not.

Also the teachers changing the gradebook will not effect the stored grades unless you store the historical grade again after the changes are made.

KritiS
Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If a suggestion helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the solution, too!