Course Catalog Warning

dcamarena
Journeyman

Course Catalog Warning

Hello, 

I started a new scheduling year for 2023-24 but I get the Course Catalog warning. Does anyone know if I can change this (I have super admin permissions solely for my school)  or do I need this done at the district level? 

Thanks

Course Catalog Warning.png

2 Solutions
JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@dcamarena You should be able to create it at your school, but I cannot speak to your District procedures/protocols, such as if your PS Admin uses Batch School Setup or anything like that, so double-check with someone in-house.

To create the 2023-2024 school year at your building, go to the Live Side, Setup>School>Years & Terms>New.

You do not need to worry about semesters/trimesters/quarters/whatever at this point. I do not know what State/Province you are in, but there may be state requirements on the Start/End dates of the full-year.

View solution in original post

nicolebond
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

The first step in scheduling for the upcoming school year is to create the future year in the district office and then at each school.  I'm quoting from the PowerScheduler manual I received at training..."Create the future year at each school and at the district office. Before starting your scheduling work in PowerScheduler, create next year's terms on the live side of PowerScheduler for the district office and each school." I set up the future year at the district office and then had each school come in for training where I showed them how to create their future year at their school.  None of the schools in my district had any warning icons when we checked the course catalogs. 

Nicole Bond
Director of Attendance and Enrollment
Haywood County Schools
Brownsville, TN

Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution. Thanks!

Mentors_badgeChampions_badge

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@dcamarena Have you created the 2023-2024 School Year on the Live Side? 99.99% of the time that is the issue when the warning is for all classes.

@JeffG9 No, have not. I added the new scheduling year in PowerScheduler and tried to build a scenario when this occurred. Can you guide me on how to create the 2023-23 school on the live side? Thanks

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@dcamarena You should be able to create it at your school, but I cannot speak to your District procedures/protocols, such as if your PS Admin uses Batch School Setup or anything like that, so double-check with someone in-house.

To create the 2023-2024 school year at your building, go to the Live Side, Setup>School>Years & Terms>New.

You do not need to worry about semesters/trimesters/quarters/whatever at this point. I do not know what State/Province you are in, but there may be state requirements on the Start/End dates of the full-year.

PowerSchool Mentor

From the live side, verify that the following has been done:

1. Create the future year (district office)

If you don't create the future year in PS, you won't be able to make courses available for scheduling next year, so your school will not have a course catalog. 

Nicole Bond
Haywood County Schools
Brownsville, TN

Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution. Thanks!

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Hi Nicole,

For PowerScheduler purposes, the new school year must be created at the building the user is scheduling in, not District Office (although creating the new year at DO certainly doesn't hurt).

PowerSchool Mentor

The first step in scheduling for the upcoming school year is to create the future year in the district office and then at each school.  I'm quoting from the PowerScheduler manual I received at training..."Create the future year at each school and at the district office. Before starting your scheduling work in PowerScheduler, create next year's terms on the live side of PowerScheduler for the district office and each school." I set up the future year at the district office and then had each school come in for training where I showed them how to create their future year at their school.  None of the schools in my district had any warning icons when we checked the course catalogs. 

Nicole Bond
Haywood County Schools
Brownsville, TN

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Hi Nicole,

There is no issue/problem with doing it as you describe. However, the warning icons in the course catalog in PowerScheduler will not disappear if a user creates the new school year at District Office and not at the building they are working in. It needs to be created in the school they are scheduling in.