Changing the level of a course for the next school year catalog

mauramaher
Recruit

Changing the level of a course for the next school year catalog

We are looking to make a course that is currently an honors level course to be a non leveled course next year.  If I use the same course number and change the level for next year, will that affect the GPA/level status that is linked to a student who took this class this year and should be earning honors level credit?

I'd like to re-use the same course number next year but am afraid it will affect GPA calculations for students who have taken the course when it was deemed an honors course.

1 Reply
ItsOnlyDoug
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

GPA calculations come from the stored grade so changing the setting shouldn't affect prior students. However, I always create a new course when things like this pop up because I like to have something I can easily track if the question of 'when did we make this a non-leveled course?' is inevitably asked. All you would need to do is make the current course inactive for the upcoming year so there won't be any confusion during recommendation/requests season.

Doug Skinner

District Instructional Data Officer
Gateway Regional School District

Did your issue get solved? Please remember to give Kudos and/or select Accept As Solution on the helpful posts to thank the author and to help others find the solution.