Lock a Schoology assignment via the API

mbezaire
Practitioner

Lock a Schoology assignment via the API

As a teacher, I have the ability to lock an assignment to prevent students from making additional submissions. I can choose to lock on a specific date and time, or to lock now (which will default to the current date and time).

Using the Schoology assignment API, I can see whether an assignment has been locked or not (dropbox_locked field). I can also enable or disable submissions (putting an update that includes the allow_dropbox field).

How would I do the following using the API (instructions don't seem to mention these)?

• Differentiate between assignments that will lock in the future and ones that have no lock set (dropbox_locked is '0' for both of these situations)
  • Lock or unlock an assignment
  • See or alter the date and time of the lock for an assignment

Lastly, since I can't alter the lock state via the API, for assignments where I need to prevent students from uploading any more submissions or revisions, is there any downside or difference if I disable assignment submissions as opposed to using the lock feature?

3 Replies
ParitoshT
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @mbezaire,

I recommend continuing to review the API documentation and meanwhile, we hope that other community members jump in and share their insights on this if they have been able to find a solution to this use case.

mbezaire
Practitioner

Hi ParitoshT, if you are recommending that I continue to review the documentation because you are aware of something specific that I missed, I would appreciate a hint as to what I missed when I read it through previously. Thanks.

ParitoshT
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @mbezaire,

I recommend working with the Schoology support contacts in your school district who might be able to help you figure this out. Otherwise, they can reach out to the Schoology team through a support case as they can access a site to take a closer look at your setup to assess your requirements and guide you further with this.

Meanwhile, we hope that other community members jump in and share their insights on this.

ParitoshT

Community Moderator