In order to accurately assess our students using success criteria for standards. Would you look into creating an option where criteria for rubrics is directly linked to a standard rather than an assignment? With standards-based-grading there may be multiple components a student must show proficiency within each one. When you combine all of the scores from the criteria you can then give an overall score for the standard. Currently, the only way I can use a rubric is to connect it to an assignment, but that assignment is then not connected to a standard. If I select a standard to add to the grading criteria the program wants to add it as an independent component of the rubric. We need a standard to become the title of the rubric and all of the category scores create an overall score for the standard.
Thank you for posting your suggestion in the Community!
I have submitted a feature request to the PowerSchool Product team on your behalf to enable a feature that will allow the standard to become the title of the rubric and all of the category scores to create an overall score for the standard. We thank you for your suggestions to improve PowerSchool for all users.
Please consider making the "Submit" button change colors or show a timestamp when you actually submit attendance, or something visual that shows whether I have submitted or not. When you save your grades, the "Save" button grays out. I NEED that visual. PLEASE! 🙂
@pmorourke Thank you for posting your suggestion in the PowerSchool Community!!
I have submitted a feature request to the PowerSchool Product team on your behalf, to enable visual features that will allow you to determine rather the attendance has been submitted and grades have been saved.
We thank you for your suggestions to improve PowerSchool for all users!
So many things about the PowerTeacherPro gradebook that we have to use this year that need fixing. I am all about efficiency and this new gradebook has yet to be just that for me.
1. I need to be able to give missing assignment a % so that students know that missing assignments can negatively impact their grades. I don't want to have to go back and enter in zeros or whatever % because that makes MORE work for us when it doesn't need to be. We were able to do this in the old gradebook.
2. I want to be able to see that missing assignments and excused assignments are shown as such when I go to make a report of the class grades.
3. I want to be able to see more than 10 students at a time in the scoresheet view. Why is the functional viewing window so small?
4. In the scoresheet view, I want to be able to see the total points that each assignment is worth instead of having to click click click to find it. ONE STOP SHOPPING should be the goal here.
5. I thought we were able to edit student names to their preferred name on this gradebook. Haven't been able to find where to do that.
6. How can we EASILY find out whether a student added or dropped into a class? The old one had an alert system that told us who left or entered and what date they did so. This has been hell the first few weeks of school when it's been a revolving door of students and it doesn't show up on PowerTeacher about changes and now it doesn't show up in the gradebook.
7. WHY CAN'T GRADES TRANSFER WITH THE STUDENTS WHEN THEY CHANGE TO A DIFFERENT SECTION???????????????????????????????????????????? It's SOOOOO much work to have to hand enter all the grades every time this happens. How come we can send a man to the moon but not make this happen in any gradebooks?
8. Clarifying question, if you make an assignment by %, it still requires points. Is this because you have to "weigh" the assignment with points too? So if the assignment is one of the major assignments for the class then you'd want to make it worth a lot of points, but it shows grades by %?
Please make these happen!
Thank you for participating in the PowerSchool Community! @ihshepard
1. This is a great suggestion! I have shared your suggestion with the PowerTeacher Product Team to have assignments automatically scored as a 0 if the student has not completed the assignment after the due date, but allow the teacher to manually edit the score at any time.
2. You should be able to view the missing and excused assignments within the report of class grades. Would you please provide the steps you are taking to access the class grades report to allow PowerSchool and other Community members to assist?
3. The list of students appear based on the vertical resolution of your screen. You should be able to view a larger number of students by zooming out on the screen resolution or turning your monitor in a vertical layout.
4. I have also submitted this feature request to the PowerTeacher Product Team to review the ability of adding a feature that will show you how many points each assignment is worth.
5. Admin within PowerSchool Student Information System should be able to add a preferred name for a student.
6. Teachers should be able to view the students that have been dropped from a class by selecting the Student tab and choosing the Show Dropped link. PowerSchool SIS Admin should be able to set up a notification that will email teachers when a student is added to a class. If you do not receive notifications currently, I recommend reaching out to a PowerSchool Admin to review the process of setting up the email notification for teachers.
7. There is a new feature within PowerTeacher Pro that will allow teachers to transfer student scores when a student changes schedules. I have added the steps below that should guide you through the process of transferring student scores.
8. An assignment score is calculated as a percent of the total points within an assignment. Teachers can add weight to an assignment. A weight will show the percentage based on the weighted points. For example, if an assignment is set up with 100 points but a weight of 2, the assignment will be out of 200 points.
Thank you for your thorough reply. Here are my responses to the following:
1. Can you have them set missing assignments to 40% or give us the opportunity to adjust it ourselves? I only want to alert them that their grade is negatively impacted and not hugely so by a zero.
2. I click on 'Reports' tab, then 'Scoresheet Report' and there isn't anything else i can do to make it show up except 'Run Report'. Here is a snapshot of the report that comes up.
One student has the SL Summer HW excused but it isn't indicated in this report. He also has the 1st vocab quiz marked as missing and it doesn't show up here.
3. That's too bad. vertical layouts take away the number of assignments I can see at once. I just want all the information in one place without having to click for it.
4. Thank you!
5. Who is this Admin person? Is there a contact for us within the district?
6. The 'Show Dropped' isn't helpful if it's always ABC'd and doesn't show us the dates that their dropped. The old one would show us who dropped, when, and kept them in the order that they were dropped. I do not want email notifications of added students. My inbox is already full and provides me with enough anxiety everytime I get new mail. I want to go to one place either in PowerTeacher or the gradebook to find who dropped and who added and when.
7. I am not getting any of the options you mentioned. There is no indication that a student who recently added has a date next to their name, there is no 'Student Quick Menu' and there definitely isn't a 'Transfer Score' option anywhere. Even in the Assignments gear icon. Here is what I see when I go there:
8. Thanks for the clarification. Since we're not allowed to use category weights this year I didn't realize we could weigh individual assignments.
Last question, and maybe you're not quite the person I should ask this to, but I'm having a really hard time moving backwards to points-based grading instead of standards-based grading. I know this gradebook can do standards-based grading but we're not allowed to do that this year. Is there a better way to set up the gradebook to be more standards-aligned? I know some teachers make each category a standard, but what are the limitations to that?
Thanks for your input.
Thank you for your detailed response!
1. I have added a request to the current suggestion to enable the ability to allow teachers to choose the default grade that will be assigned to missing assignments.
2. You should be able to review this information within the multi-assignment report. I have provided the steps to access the information below.
3. We have shared your suggestion of the vertical view with the PowerTeacher Pro Team!
4. You are most welcome! Thank you for sharing suggestions to improve PowerTeacher Pro for all users.
5. I recommend reaching out to your School Administrator to request assistance connecting with a PowerSchool Admin.
6. PowerTeacher Pro does not show the date students were dropped from a course. We have requested this information is reviewed by the Product Team to see if it can be added within the product.
7. This feature was added to the latest version of PowerTeacher Pro, 19.4. We recommend connecting with your PowerSchool Admin to confirm if the district has updated PowerTeacher Pro to the most recent version.
I do not believe there is a limitation to adding categories as standards. I am happy to do further research of this with the PowerTeacher Pro Team. However, I recommend working with other users within your school district to discuss best practices when the school is requested standard-based grading is not used in the school district.
When a teacher is adding scores to a class in the PowerTeacher Pro Gradebook, selecting a score to mark should not only highlight that selected assignment, but it should also highlight the name of the student on the left-most column.
For example, if I am entering a score for Bob on the "Final Exam", and I select the score, Bob's name should be highlighted so it is clear I have selected the score for him, and not for a student above or below him.
That is all, thank you!