"Smart Text" in PowerTeacher Pro Comments

m2murray
Journeyman

"Smart Text" in PowerTeacher Pro Comments

In Gradebook we were able to write unique comments using "Smart Text" tags for name and pronouns. In PowerTeacher Pro the tags are accepted as part of the comment, but names and pronouns don't populate (instead we just get blanks) when the comment reports are printed in PowerSchool.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? These are for unique comments, not comments drawn from the district or user comment banks. Anything that we're missing in terms of settings?

thanks, Michael

8 Replies
PS_AM1
Veteran

Hi @m2murray,

Thank you for your post!  I understand the names and pronouns are not populating when using smart text.  Would you provide a screenshot of an example for further review?  Please, make sure student information is not visible in the screenshot.  In the meantime, I am providing an article below that has more information and may resolve the issue at hand.  

https://help.powerschool.com/t5/PowerSchool-PowerTeacher-Pro/PowerTeacher-Pro-Comments-and-Smart-Tex...

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Angelam7
PowerSchool Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
ntopilko
Padawan

I am having the same issue, did you figure out what is causing the smart text not to pull to the parent/student portal and mobile app?  

Reshma
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @ntopilko,

Thank you for your question in PowerSchool Community!

If the tags are not in the supported formats, SmartText might not work.  Also, the smart text is intended to be used in the Comment Bank and not directly in the comment box.

The ability to use SmartText in Mobile App is not currently built into PowerSchool SIS.  This is a great enhancement request and we do have a new feature, the PowerSchool Ideas Portal, where users can submit their ideas directly to the Product team. It also allows you to review the idea for status updates as well as share the idea with other users to support it by voting.

To learn more about the Ideas Portal, we recommend reviewing the article on PowerSchool Ideas Portal FAQs

Reshma
PowerSchool Community Support Expert

If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
sbohemier
Recruit

Smart text should really be activated in 'regular' comment box entry, not just in the bank. As the bank is limited by character limits, not all comments can go here - these need to be copy-pasted in - with Smart text enabled. 

It would be much user friendly if Smart text could be directly inserted in the comment box, NOT just the bank. Many teachers at my school have this same opinion. 

JeffG9
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Hi @sbohemier,

Your teachers could use the My Comments bank instead of the District to enter comments with smart text. Not exactly a perfect solution but it would achieve the desired result.

Thanks for your suggestion, I have tried this method as well!

'My personal comment bank' also has character limits - and thus my comments do not fit here either. Splitting them up in three parts just gives me more work as well. Either, they can open the character limits to match the character limits of the actual comment which is larger, so I can proceed this way, or enable the Smart text directly in the box - which is much more user intuitive knowing that most individuals are taking their comments from a Google Doc of sorts and pasting in - avoiding the step of creating comments directly in any bank, personal or district. 

Thank you though.

AshleyH14
Recruit

I have had this same request from several of our teachers as well. Our comment box supports unlimited characters, so we would love the smart text/comment Bank feature to be able to support our practice so that teachers can save valuable time. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE POWERSCHOOL!

JyotishkaB
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

@JeffG9 Thank you for the workaround.

Hi @AshleyH14 

Thank you for reaching out to the Community for assistance.

We are sorry to inform you that currently there is no such feature within PowerSchool that could enable Smart Text to be used directly in the comment section. At present it is used as part of a comment in the Comment Bank only.

We encourage you to submit this as a feature request or vote for similar feature requests submitted by our community members on the PowerSchool Ideas Portal

I also found a similar enhancement request submitted by another community member that you can vote on to show your support. You can find the request by visiting the Ideas Portal and searching UCG-I-107 in the search box on the top-right corner of the page and then click on the Vote button next to it.

To learn more about the Ideas Portal, we recommend reviewing the article on PowerSchool Ideas Portal FAQs.

Jyotishka B.
Community Moderator